Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Palm up Thumb up Palm down Thumb down Reply with quote

Knowing these four hand positions is essential to ensure that your striking and deflecting/ blocking techniques are correct for optimal performance (the two other positions are hyper extensions something to use against your opponent and to avoid being in for oneself)

As for instance a palm up is an uppercut, thumb up is a hook, a palm down is a jab and an over hand left or right is a thumb down.

As a horizontally thrown back fist is a thumb up, while a vertical backfist from high to low is a palm up version.

Once the four versions are absolutely clear in one's mind, then practicing (punching) from many angles opens up an infinite amount of possibilities.

Adding the loose and fast punching skills from using the scapula, to the heavy hitting locked shoulder, twisting the whole body behind the punches.

Knowing the Pu Tu PD Td Concept also works well for practing self defence moves and grabs also palm strikes, chops and spear hand techniques.

Hope that high-lighting an awareness of these four hand positions is helpful?

Wayofaswede
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Shukokai Shito Ryu, Goju Ryu, Aikido (Aikikai), Judo, Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, it makes the intended position of a hand much clearer. I will try to keep these four "basic positions" in mind when doing techniques/katas.

This concept should also simplify memorization of new patterns and should result in more confident applications. Thank you.

Not a day without a kata

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wayofaswede.

Of course a jab or a spear hand Etc, could be used in all four positions, including the increments there of.

As knife hand strikes/chops are not all horizontal or vertical, just as important are the diagonals, descending and rising.

Makes understanding easier for instance when explaining the thumb up Wing Chun punch or the bear fisted palm up jab.

Also the starting off with a palm up punch (corkscrewed) could become a palm down one, as in a karate reverse punch, noting starting hand positions with different types of strikes on impact.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using a pulley and weights machine in order to strengthen my punching capabilities, the four versions is very effective towards exercising all of them confidently, just by twisting the wrist.

In knowing that I am giving all of my punching muscles a full workout, while simultaneously using the other hand practicing covering techniques; which really does translate well when sparring with an opponent.

As being completely conscious of the four positions, automatically the body will adjust towards maximising the positioning, to deliver the most effective way to deliver the power of the punch to the target, in the most efficient way possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: