Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RichardHangHong
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Seitou Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Paranoia in the martial arts Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone here thought that there's just too much paranoia in the martial arts world?

I've had quite a few experiences with a several associations over the last couple of years and it seems to me that the most prominent paranoia in the karate world is within Goju Ryu. I'll elaborate later but for now, what does everyone else think?
Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps martial arts draws a more intense kind of person, thus leading to these heightened feelings?

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Paranoia in the MA. Reply with quote

Please elaborate more on your general idea of the paranoia. I think I know what you are getting at, but would like a little more to go on.

RichardHangHong
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Seitou Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had a few experiences where I've been told by various instructors I can't do this, not allowed to do that.

Here's a run down of my most recent experience/incident.

I was having a discussion with someone on another forum and they asked if I hold dan grades in other styles as my club is a blend of 2 styles. I said no, but a couple of Shotokan instructors (9th and 6th dan) both thought I was a 3rd dan (I'm a 2nd dan). I said that I haven't asked my instructor from the other style what grade he rates me at as I thought it was unnecessary.

A week later I got an email forwarded by his assistant chief instructor saying that he had seen me mention his name several times on the forum and that I must stop using his name to add credibility to my club and style. He also made a emphasised point of telling me he consdered me "a beginner who only trains once a week at his dojo". Why he couldn't do it himself is beyond me but anyway, I promptly replied and respectfully apologised even though I felt what was said was unfounded. I went back onto the forums to check and review my posts for these several instances that he referred to. In the last 3 months I had said his name just 3 times. And on each occurence I was highly respectful, saying what a good instructor he is and how much I enjoy training with him and that I wish I could do more but my timetable doesn't allow me to. I also made no implications or other comments that could be seen as him "adding credibility to our club".

I've left the issue alone now, but am taking note that this particular person seems to be a bit paranoid. I don't have classes anywhere near his ones so it can't possibly be that he's worried I'm going to try and steal his students away from him. Not that I would do that anyway. All I'm interested in is just training and developing my karate even further.

There were another couple of instances where he gave me an ultimatum of either bring my whole club over to their style and association or I couldn't train with him anymore. They said this because they wanted their style taught their way and didn't want it being diluted (implied "by someone who was not pure Goju Ryu"). I promptly refused as it wasn't fair on my students that to them (I have about 200 students + another 100 in a branch of my club in another area run by a friend of mine), funnily enough, he backpedalled and I am still training with him regularly. I said I would happily re-take my grades if need be and join his association as an individual but he said it's not necessary.

I really don't know why they are like this towards me. It's like a game of hot and cold. Sometimes they're really helpful and friendly towards me, giving me hints and tips on how to improve my technique, knowledge, etc and then other times it's cold shoulder acting like they've got to hide all their knowledge from me so I can't "steal" it away from them. It's crazy I tell you, crazy!
Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Paranoia in the MA. Reply with quote

I understand what you are going through. It is all political. I think the main thing is he wants your business. What he tells you is that he wants your 300 students under his organization, and what he doesn't tell you is that a percentage of your income, bearing his organiztion name, or being under the umbrella, or whatever, will be owed to him, or you will have to have each of your members pay a membership fee to him, or something like that.

All of the politics of the martial arts really makes me pretty sick. The GM of my current style is very narrow minded, and feels that TKD is "all you need." I love TKD, but I could round myself out. I also have other interests, and I will not let someone I see only two times a year, and talk to for maybe 5 minutes, decide what is and is not good for me to do.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the Martial Arts schools operate lends itself to people showing their petty side.

1. It's very personal. It's not like buying bolts at the hardware store.

2. The instructor is teaching you, in effect, how to teach other people the same thing. It's a tough business model.

3. It is the instructor's bread basket (or rice bowl if you will). People can get very funny about things that impact their ability to make a living - both real and imagined.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers before me basically sum it up. Martial Arts is very political. It is generally about two things, one that was mentioned, one that wasn't.

1) Money. As mentioned, if you are teaching, you are challenging someone elses ability to teach. Many people feel this threat and some act upon it, even though it may not actually be so.

2) Ego. Many instructors want everything their way so they remain the big fish in the little pool. That is why many GMs only promote the one style, because they are the be all and end all of that style, but when it comes to MA in general, they are not.

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that this particular person never bothered to check your posts to determine if this was actually occuring.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you Richard Gregory. I purposely do not mention names of any individual student or instructor of our school just for the same reason: paranoia. Even though I can only speak highly of our school and instructor, it would not be taken well if I mentioned names.

PlasmaShock
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand what you mean by paranoia?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: