Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Wisconsin is your school? And how long has it been around? I grew up in the northwest, near Lake Superior. I go back now and again on vacation.

Oh, and for everyone talking about using the word ryu, while it does have more Japanese connotations than Korean, ryu, as a word, means way, type, or style in Korean as well. Just like do means way or road in both Korean and Japanese. They share a few linguistic similarities due to their use of Chinese characters.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I posted earlier:

Quote:
Being as Korean, and Japanese both belong to the Altaic family of languages, they share some similarities, ryu is one of those, along with shin (mind/body), and some other terms.

Ryu does not in any way, shape, or form translate as way or type. The character actually represents a flowing stream of water. The philosophical implication vary from person to person. But "Way" is for sure DO [道], and Path is RO [路] (both in Korean and Japanese).

There is only one school of PaSaRyu in Wisconsin. Central Wisconsin Martial Arts Institute. http://www.cwmai.com/

NOTE: Admins & Mods: I included the Korean/Japanese Hanja/Kanji above as reference to the romanization to the terms in question, as this is not always clear.

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit difficult to get until you give the Chinese character for the word. Until then, simply reading the romanization ryu, it can mean any number of things in Korean.

Also, the Korean language doesn't divide things as starkly anymore using Chinese characters. Do, or way, can be read as road or path as well. It depends. Ro is still used as road, but it's also used as street, which can also be the word kil. Things in Korea, are a bit more interchangeable these days. Thus the word ryu, can still be used as a type depending on what you're talking about.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Mr Buffalo
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: PaSaRyu - Chang Moo Kwon, Kang Duk Kwon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: PaSaRyu System Reply with quote

The PaSaRyu system has been around since 1964 ( our 50th anniversary). Master Kang Rhee received permission from Master Park and Master Lee, prior to leaving Korea and coming to Memphis, TN.

Before leaving Korea, Master Rhee started the Karate Club at Yon Sei University and also taught the Korean Special Forces.

The system is alive and well. While well known in the Mid-South Region of the United States it is slowly making its way to other parts as Masters and other higher level black belts begin to open their own schools in many different states.

If you are interested in knowing more, or where you can train at here a couple of links:

http://www.pasaryu-martial-arts.com
http://www.kangrhee.com

SUN!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: