Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

blackbelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PaSaRyu

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: PaSaRyu Reply with quote

Any PaSaRyu practitioners out there? I've been training in PaSaRyu for a little more than four years and i'm a first degree blackbelt.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This style is unfamiliar to me. Could you tell us some more about it?

blackbelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PaSaRyu

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaSaRyu is translated "way of honor." It was developed my Master H. Rhee in 1956. Kang Rhee studied under Master Nam Suk Lee (1953-1956) and Master Chul Hee Park (1957-1954) and then came to the USA in 1964 and establised the PaSaRyu Marial Artist Association. PaSaRyu is based on the techniques of Shudokan karate, TaeKwonDo, Chuan Fa (kung Fu) and Hapkido.**

The PaSaRyu system places emphasis on physical conditioning, balance, agility and the constant refinement of techniques. Techniques have emphasis placed on the movements being big, deep and natural. We also practice the development of KI (vital energy), healing techniques and the use of weapons.**

**The above info was taken from my martial arts handbook and from my school's website.

Like you said, this style is fairly new and there are very few schools around the country that teach it. The main schools are located in TN (quite a few here as well as the Kang Rhee headquarters), WI (my school is here and it's the only one in the state) and Oklahoma. The Oklahoma school has a great informational web, the link is

http://www.pasaryuofoklahoma.com/

I hope this answers some of your questions, and if you'd like to know more, just let me know.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the system before, but I find it interesting that they use the "ryu" in the name, which is of Okinawan origion typically, yet the founder (Rhee) and his instructors (Lee and Park) are obviously Korean and two of the four system they base the art on are Korean.

Why?

Just wondering.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

rmclain
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the age of Kang Rhee, he grew up in Korea during the Japanese occupation. During this time, Korean school-aged children were forced to learn to write and speak Japanese. In many cases, Korean people weren't allowed to speak Korean.

It is not uncommon for people from this generation to use cross-language to describe things - such as using "Ryu" in a martial art name instead of the Korean "Mu Do."

My instructor, same generation as Kang Rhee, did the same thing with Chayon-Ryu (Natural Way). They both came from the same dojangs.

R. McLain

Montana wrote:
I've never heard of the system before, but I find it interesting that they use the "ryu" in the name, which is of Okinawan origion typically, yet the founder (Rhee) and his instructors (Lee and Park) are obviously Korean and two of the four system they base the art on are Korean.

Why?

Just wondering.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, rmclain. Thanks for that bit of knowledge; given the extent to which the Japanese occupied the Koreans, this makes more sense to me now.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing i used to know about this style is that Elvis Presley trained on it, also he trained Kenpo Karate with Ed Parker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CaFntgb2nQ&NR=1

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. I have read articles on his MA training, and we was on the cover of Black Belt at least once, that I know of. Perhaps twice.

tenshinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:

Why?

Just wondering.

Being as Korean, and Japanese both belong to the Altaic family of languages, they share some similarities, ryu is one of those, along with shin (mind/body), and some other terms.

PaSaRyu comes from the older TKD, and though Master Rhee holds high rank with the Kukkiwon, he does not teach Kukki TKD. PSR has many of the same forms used in TSD in addition to forms from Gung Fu, and two man sets.

fwiw,
--josh

TheArtofDave
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Pasaryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Thank you All... Reply with quote

Thank you all for all the useful information. I am a fellow student of Pasaryu, and some time it gets me down about where I'd be in my car didn't break down, and leave me stranded.

But the good news is after I graduate college this old dog.. lol.. is going back, and this time I'm putting in all the dedication to at least get myself to 4th degree black belt. That's a good goal to motivate me. Then I can go from there and get even higher.

The school I use to take at has a new building right next to the old building. I still have my uniform from that class. When I call should I ask about wearing the uniform I have. Or should I get another?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: