Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: People not being suited to Martial Arts Reply with quote

You have to have a PASSION - and be a little nuts . - the nuts part applies to me. I know of certain individuals who love Martial Arts - but cannot make the full commitment - some have even made Black Belt - some put in 10/15 years into the arts - but sometimes things get in the way - some lose interest - some say they love it but! For me its FAMILY 1ST - Then Job - to support the family.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone should be suitable to learn martial arts.
Weaker people becoming stronger and strong people helping weaker people.

Many of my instructors were borderline abusive (40 years ago); but only from my perspective as a skinny kid. The body building type class mates probably felt normal about the hard knocks.

In my last class, I halfway knocked a student out, he needed some time out to recover. Some techniques are simply devastating for a person that is not physically or emotionally ready or conditioned to receive them.

The student now knows with training and the right technique that it is very easy to defend oneself against a very strong or bigger opponent, whereas it would never apparently seem possible.

The technique used is called 'Mang Geng Sau' neck pulling hand. In short it is a jolt action to the opponents neck using one's full body weight, (on the student I used about 5 kilos of pressure) as I am 80 kilos, would be equivalent to being hit in neck with 80 kilos.

I believe the student moved up another level by experiencing this technique first hand. The idea on combining multiple concepts in a single movement. Vietnamese Wing Chun masters have this down to a real art form.

Simultaneously using a combination of 'fook, pak, jum, jut and lap' all Wing Chun concepts. The best example of this (from my experience) would be from viewing (a Grecian Wing Chun Master) Sifu Tassos; he can be seen on YouTube, using many such examples.

Many martial artist will never experience the dangerous aspects of martial arts; perhaps if they did it would dissipate much of their ego.

Martial arts in reality is very dangerous, playing martial arts boosts egos (confidence) for the weak and strong, martial arts in the wrong hands is asking for trouble.

Once upon a time, it would be that martial artists would need to earn the respect of the teacher first before being taught anything; this tradition has been lost, due to monetary gain; perhaps it's the teacher not suited to martial arts and not the student.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: