Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AlwaysInTraining
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Karate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: People not being suited to Martial Arts Reply with quote

During my time doing Karate (10/11 years ish) ive come across a few people who seem keen and excited to be doing martial arts but lacked either the drive or ethos to do it. Ive met people who let their egos take over when they've been beaten either to grading in Kata (or something in class) or in a sparing match and ive met people who the moment they discover its not what they thought still stick with it (in the hope that it'll get better) and drag people down for not making it easy and/or not taking it easy on them. Ive met people who have tried to manipulate instructors to get advancement and instructors that have graded people inorder to have an easy life. I even met one person who made it her life's ambition to ruin my reputation because i once unknowningly (i would like to stress that) went too hard in sparing one week without realising. Despite all this i still train (hard) and love what i do and after so long training i have now learnt to try to steer clear of these people but i was wondering what experences everyone else has and how you have delt with them? Hopefully it should make for an intesting debate.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like this pop up in any kind of interaction, not just Martial Arts. You can find them in the workplace just as easily. Like you mention, the best way to deal with them is to steer clear and ignore them, not letting someone else affect your training.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with bushido man, bet to avoid the individual altogether. MA's can attract a certain ego-centric personality sometimes. They do usually weed themselves out. Stay clear, work on your thing, keep training.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with Alex and Brian. Some don't have even a minimum of an idea as to what their actions and/or the lack thereof does to another individual...it's a sad affair at times.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that they're not suited. Anyone can learn. On our patch, we have this symbol. It means anyone can learn the way of Tang Soo Do.
My instructor has been advancing me quickly because he thinks I'm ready. He keeps saying I was made to learn martial arts or something. I've been promoted to yellow belt in my first month and a half of training. And already he's recommended me to orange belt.
What I'm trying to say is that I think anyone is capable of learning any type of martial arts. I just think that people have to actually try and achieve that goal.

SamsIAmz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate (a little judo/capoeira)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found different martial arts tend to attract different kinds of people. Unfortunately you will find more ego oriented individuals in some of the more contact related martial arts. Perhaps the most difficult now a days are MMA and jujitsu schools, because these are so popular in the media, that individuals who just want to learn to fight tend to go to these places.

Additionally I feel that at some point people learn how to seriously harm other individuals with their techniques/abilities. I've noticed two common ways of dealing with this realization. 1) They become humbled by the realization and try to seek out a spiritual component to better deal with the responsibility 2) They respond with ego, feeling more powerful than before.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamsIAmz wrote:

Additionally I feel that at some point people learn how to seriously harm other individuals with their techniques/abilities. I've noticed two common ways of dealing with this realization. 1) They become humbled by the realization and try to seek out a spiritual component to better deal with the responsibility 2) They respond with ego, feeling more powerful than before.

I've seen this as well, and luckily, 99% have become humbled by their abilities. I'm one of them. I used to be a pompous little bugger, but as I realized "Wait a second, I can actually really hurt or even kill someone with what I'm learning" I calmed down, became more patient, and lost a lot of that ego I had.

Being beat on by 5th+ dans helps too

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, 5th dan beatings...how I miss them!

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Haha, I got one of those for my birthday!

Instant humility generator, lol!

OSU!

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergrey wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Haha, I got one of those for my birthday!

Instant humility generator, lol!

OSU!

I miss them too... now I'm stuck with 7th dan beatings O_O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: