Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Perseverance Reply with quote

There are many stories about perseverance, when a student for instance was trying to be accepted by a martial art master.

As the master knew, that a student without perseverance, will not be able to finish what was started.

Often times the student would wait patiently outside the master's house.

The potential student knowing, that eventually would become accepted by the master.

This first lesson of perseverance for martial artists is an important one, that could very easily be confused with patience.

(continue vs waiting as perseverance vs patience)

Perseverance and determination work well together.

If you want something, chances are it will be your perseverance, is what brings you closer to it and not patience.

I have used this perseverance method, when pursuing a dream job, just like the student trying to be accepted by a master.

The employer kept refusing my applications, but perseverance paid of, as the boss was ill and needed help to meet his deadlines.

Guess who came to his mind first?

How has perseverance helped you develops as a martial artist or anything else for that matter, while on this subject?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Perseverence” that very word or a variation of it is at the front of many Okinawan and Japanese martial arts dojo. It is probably the most powerfully inspirational single word and quality to strive for in martial arts. It is also one of the essentials to success in any endeavour which takes time and diligent work to succeed. Patience, perseverence and motivation are of the greatest importance.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something, then work for something as though you want something, and not in a passing fancy, but with an unreserved resolve. You want something, then earn it, and earn it honestly.

Never giving up on that which one is wanting; preserving without admitting defeat are the earmarks of a MA, because the light can still be seen at the end of the tunnel.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One's ability to persevere can be developed by the mental state of focusing on the journey and not the end state.

Too often human beings think about the final objective--the goal--first and foremost, and don't care about the journey. In fact, many would like to skip the journey altogether and get right to the end state (instant gratification).

However, when these same people hit an obstacle in their journey, or get derailed, they can get frustrated enough to quit. They don't understand that every journey takes hard work. If they would focus on the journey more than the end state, and actually learn to enjoy the journey, they would be better prepared to face the ups and downs that will surely come their way.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are all in agreement that perseverance is a good thing to have.

As martial artists we do have one thing in common and that is to preserve.

Asking myself the question, am I a talented martial artists, for example that can do kicking tricks, my answer is no.

Am I stronger or faster than most martial artists, my answer is no.

Am I naturally more flexible than most martial artists, that makes my kicks look extremely beautiful, my answer is no.

So really as a martial artist, I don't really have anything out of the ordinary going for me, but in spite of it all I keep going and just preserver.

My Tai Chi teacher said to me once "To endure the unendurable" something to remember when having root canal work done at the dentists, now that's a lesson in perserverance in extremely painful circumstances.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been training the arts consistently for over 4 decades and thought I was tough and disciplined. Not so much when I consider that my 80 something year old father refuses anesthesia of any kind when getting root canal work.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anything that's gained through perseverance is all the more sweeter for having persevered! If something just falls into your lap, then there is never a sense of achievement in it. Maybe more so in the MA. Each grade is a symbol of perseverance is it not? Unless the dojo/school is a "belt factory".

I'm finishing up college this year after not having set foot in a classroom since 1995. I struggled with the maths which was never a strong point of mine. At times I felt like chucking it, but I plodded on and I've already had a promotion out of it at work and come May, hopefully I'll have an HNC in electrical engineering.

All down to perseverance!!

Mo.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of perseverance, I think of the work ethic that comes along with it. I think the two go hand in hand. One can't persevere if one doesn't have the will to put in the work. That's a merit all of its own. I don't the most talented person around; give me the person whose willing to work their butt off, and I'll know they can be molded.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perserverance is an attitude, to continue despite the consequences or difficulties ahead.

To have a positive attitude towards improving one's self, to do the right things at the right time, as in training smart.

As was told by a gymnast once many many years ago " Time spent improving oneself is time never wasted"

There is a tendency in our modern culture to look for the easy way or solutions, yet training sessions that are truly challenging or difficult are usually more important, beneficial, worthwhile and rewarding.

Personally this has been a rewarding week, due to surpassing last week's results for strength, flexibility and improving the quality of my techniques.

This has encouraged and helped me mentally to try and do even better for the next upcoming week ahead, probably will be working on speed and endurance, also learning new techniques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: