Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

Here's a situation I find myself facing.

I personally believe in gender equality. It so happens that I'm male, and fairly big and strong. Not epically so, but probably generally tougher than my peers. I don't say this to brag. I enjoy outdoor physical activity and over the years that has an effect compared to the average towny.

I want my black belt in my current style. It's imminent. But here's the thing. I want the black belt only because I want to run my own class, and I'm aware that irrespective of experience, nobody wants to be taught by someone that isn't black belt.

I have no doubt in my ability to acquire my black belt. Again without bragging, I have enough experience in martial arts in general and TSD specifically to wear a black belt with confidence.

But here's the problem. As a male, in the grading I will be asked to demonstrate certain things that equally experienced women will not be asked to demonstrate. The women will in effect get a slightly easier test. It boils down to this. The women will be judged for their fitness and artistic ability. The men will be tested for the same, plus their 'toughness'.

On passing, both will be considered equal in terms of rank and ability.

I know I'm one of thousands so any statement of make will have little impact. But on point of principle, as a statement I'm considering either refusing to grade unless the test is the same for men and women, doing the grading but refusing to do the parts that only the men are asked to do, or ignoring my principles, doing the test, with the goal of leading my own class my (equal) way.

Thoughts please.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with equality between the sexes, honesty demands that I also acknowledge the differences. Men and women are different mentally, emotionally and physically. Sure there are outliers like the Australian woman who just lifted some really heavy Scottish rocks, but most people fall into the bell curve. Really the differences are what make life so great.

There is room for discretion in grading. Physically and mentally handicapped people can and do grade to 1st dan and higher. Should a 110 pound woman be denied a grade for failing against a 220 lb uke? That is up to the testing board. In my opinion, and I say this as a blue belt with a child's understanding, I think that if she demonstrated skilled technique, outstanding perseverance and dedication that she should earn the grade. If she failed on any of the above criteria then she should fail, just as a man should. Black belt is not an end. It is a beginning. I liken it to a college degree. It means you have mastered the basics and the graduate now has a license to really begin learning.

Often we can unknowingly become caught up in media presentations. The movie Serenity ends with a hand to hand fight between a slightly built teenage girl and dozens of large skilled fighters. I suspend my belief that in a real confrontation the hero would lose that fight hard core. Take a look at the NBA and WNBA. They separate by gender for a reason.

Remember, it is your art. If/When you have your own place, you can teach differently than your Sensei. If you find applications in a kata that your Sensei never taught, you can teach them. It is your floor. Take the grading when you feel ready, then teach and grade students your way.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be in a Catch-22; darn if you do, and darn if you don't.

Equality should be considered, however, the field should also be of equality as well. The fact that females are not as strong as males shouldn't be weighed whatsoever because the MA isn't based on gender, but on knowledge and experience, i.e., either the practitioner is or isn't effective.

Our Testing Cycle isn't gender based, but rank based, and yes, I hate that terminology, as if rank has meaning, which it doesn't.

The bottom line is that the CI and/or the Governing Body has ruled as to the policies and procedures, in which, the SOP must be adhered to, or one can go somewhere else, which is another Catch-22.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, the differences aren't in fighting ability.

To give an example. One part of the test involves a demonstration of martial prowess by breaking inanimate objects.both men and women are expected to display such prowess by screaming at a board before breaking it. That is after all very relevant. As we all know, a real fight can be ended instantly by finding a small piece of pine wood and breaking it while screaming. It's an important skill.

But the man will be asked to perform a specific technique. Perhaps a jump spinning back kick. Perhaps he will be asked to jump over a curled up comrade to reach the board. Again, vitally important skill no doubt. You never know when you'll next need to jump over a downed friend, turn mid air, and I don't know, knock a can of pop/soda out of an assailants hand to make him bow at you and give up. The woman candidate on the other hand will be given a choice of kicks. Perhaps she'll choose the much simpler step through side kick.

So the man is asked to do a specific thing, while the woman is given a choice. None of it against a resisting opponent so body weight/strength is not an issue (although of course every black belt should be able to break an inch of pinewood, because 98% of all street attacks feature an assailant holding a piece of flimsy board in front of themselves).

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd do the grading and vow to address any unfairness if I ever run a grading myself.

There's no use dying alone on that hill and changing nothing except spoiling your own grading.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair or not fair, the Testing Cycle is what it is. If it's believed to be an unfair test, than what's one to do?!? I suppose that one could address the unfairness with ones CI and/or ones Governing Body, but exactly what does one hope for from a formal complaint?!?

The CI and/or the Governing Body aren't going to budge one iota when the Testing Cycle is the issue because for what I've experienced, is that that type of complaint isn't treated kindly because it questions their authority as well as their knowledge. After all, we came to them, not vice versa. If we don't like anything, then we can just go somewhere else.

Of course, we at the SKKA never have to worry about this and/or that because both females and males are required to do the exact same things.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Fair or not fair, the Testing Cycle is what it is. If it's believed to be an unfair test, than what's one to do?!? I suppose that one could address the unfairness with ones CI and/or ones Governing Body, but exactly what does one hope for from a formal complaint?!?

The CI and/or the Governing Body aren't going to budge one iota when the Testing Cycle is the issue because for what I've experienced, is that that type of complaint isn't treated kindly because it questions their authority as well as their knowledge. After all, we came to them, not vice versa. If we don't like anything, then we can just go somewhere else.

Of course, we at the SKKA never have to worry about this and/or that because both females and males are required to do the exact same things.

I hear what you're saying. Definitely there is a like it or lump it attitude within the association. And I get that to some extent. I really hate when the student body pressures the association into making a change. It's usually not a good thing. It typically waters down the art.

But the point of principle here is while the rest of the world is slowly moving on from gender prejudice, with even the military now accepting women if they can show they can achieve the required standard the same as their male counterparts, there is still gender inequality in martial arts. Worse than that, ours is an association that was set up specifically to be inclusive for all, and I feel like that legacy is being eroded. Instead of moving forwards, we're going backwards.

But on point of principle, if the women were given a harder test than the men, there'd be hell to pay. Imagine saying to a woman, right, the test is over for your male counterparts, but if you want the same grade, you have to do some extra work. It would be a scandal. But because it's the other way round, people just accept it. I think that's wrong. There is either gender equality, or there is gender stereotype and prejudice.

I guess the issue I'm wrestling with is, do I want to be part of something that actively promotes such stereotypes and prejudice, or not. The answer is no. Which leads to, am I willing to sweep it under the carpet in order to advance my own position. This is the one I'm really struggling to resolve.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

As a woman, I am fully aware that there are differences between males and females of every species. It's nature. To ignore that or pretend it's not true is to deny a very basic fact of the world.

The point of the test is to show the student is in shape and to push them physical. What "in shape" and "push physically" means for a male is going to be different than what it means for a female. Just like what it means for a child will be different than what it means for an adult.

It would be illogical to have the same physical standards for everyone. Take a look at a military fitness test chart. See how they have different standards for gender and a for age? The goal of those tests is for the soldier to be in good shape and even the military recognizes that what that means is dependent on different variables.

I am not offended by the fact that I'm not as strong as my male classmates. It's nature.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the CI and/or the Governing Body succumbs to the pressure from the Student Body, then anarchy sets in, therefore, what they once stood for, no longer exists...I don't want any part of that. As the Kaicho of the SKKA, I will not allow the Student Body to run the SKKA; that's MY responsibility, and I have to protect the ENTIRE Student Body, not just one or the few. If those think that I'll bow to their will, they really don't know me, but they will shortly thereafter.

Don't sweep it under the rug, fight for what you believe because your MA journey is yours alone, but choose the right fight, and fight the good fight!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Personal principles vs goals Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
As a woman, I am fully aware that there are differences between males and females of every species. It's nature. To ignore that or pretend it's not true is to deny a very basic fact of the world.

The point of the test is to show the student is in shape and to push them physical. What "in shape" and "push physically" means for a male is going to be different than what it means for a female. Just like what it means for a child will be different than what it means for an adult.

It would be illogical to have the same physical standards for everyone. Take a look at a military fitness test chart. See how they have different standards for gender and a for age? The goal of those tests is for the soldier to be in good shape and even the military recognizes that what that means is dependent on different variables.

I am not offended by the fact that I'm not as strong as my male classmates. It's nature.

Solid post!!

At the SKKA, we don't the physical but at the effectiveness of said technique, no matter the technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: