Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Philosophical Question: What is Better??? Reply with quote

Most have probably heard of this saying (or something like this):

"It is nice to give a man a fish, but it is even better to teach a man how to fish."

My question is, what is better:

- Teaching a person how to fish

or

- Punching a person in the face?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?????? Not sure I understand the question.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching how to fish!!

Punching someone in the face is only temporary, and isn't a long term solution whatsoever. We MAists aren't suppose to be barbarians that fly off the handle at every given moment; thoughtless through unbalanced emotions.

"We need emotional content; not anger!!" ~ Bruce Lee

But what is "Emotional content"?? Maturity in not only techniques, but in actions as well. Not just doing a movement for the sake of it, but to express yourself through maturity.

"To me, ultimately, martial arts means honestly expressing yourself. Now, it is very difficult to do. It has always been very easy for me to put on a show and be cocky, and be flooded with a cocky feeling and feel pretty cool and all that. I can make all kinds of phony things. Blinded by it. Or I can show some really fancy movement. But to experience oneself honestly, not lying to oneself, and to express myself honestly, now that, my friend, is very hard to do." ~ Bruce Lee

As human beings...as MAists, we're accountable for not only our own actions, whether they be positive or negative, but ALSO accountable for the actions of others!! Many would say that that's not true, that we're ONLY accountable for our actions alone. However, what if our actions were the catalyst of the other persons reaction(s) across the board.

Are we so blind and selfish that we MAists solve encounters with our learnt physicality for whatever that reason(s) might or might not be. As a MAist, there's no shame in just walking away...that too, is an action as well, and often time the most preferred.

I'd rather teach how to fish, and not just give a fish because teaching how to fish, that, to me, is the desired long term goal.

Imho!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the reason for punching someone in the face it is temporary, just like giving a fish which will only satisfy until one needs another. Unless there is some kind of hidden meaning or joke, neither of the two have anything to do with one another. Except maybe that both are temporary solutions to something that could be resolved by offering to help a person become self-reliant. Also it could emphasize the idea that the quickest fix might be less profitable than sharing knowledge and skills.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I wrote this post quickly (I was in a hurry) so I probably didn't communicate this well.

I see now that it was not clear what I meant. Did I mean to "teach someone how to punch someone else in the face," or to actually punch that person in the face (instead of teaching him/her how to fish)?

I actually meant the latter (punch that person in the face), but now that I think about it...both actually work.

So, I believe that it is better to teach someone how to punch someone else in the face AND to actually punch that person in face than it is to teach them how to fish.

Before you all think I am crazy, I ask that you deliberate on it a little more.

Does anyone agree with me?

conrad665
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Ashihara Karate, Judo, Iaido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
Ahh, I wrote this post quickly (I was in a hurry) so I probably didn't communicate this well.

I see now that it was not clear what I meant. Did I mean to "teach someone how to punch someone else in the face," or to actually punch that person in the face (instead of teaching him/her how to fish)?

I actually meant the latter (punch that person in the face), but now that I think about it...both actually work.

So, I believe that it is better to teach someone how to punch someone else in the face AND to actually punch that person in face than it is to teach them how to fish.

Before you all think I am crazy, I ask that you deliberate on it a little more.

Does anyone agree with me?

I think I agree with you. I always pair up with higher ranks in judo (we do not punch each other but close enough ) and usually end up on the ground, being choked or pinned down, and sometimes I get discouraged after being beaten so many times. But all the way training is not the solution, either (an important part of the solution, though), unless you practice some close-to-real situations. That would give you false-confidence, which could be very dangerous. It is important to experience how the technique would affect the opponent, that is, be punched in the face, but only after you have your tools at hand~techniques practiced well. Receiving a technique also helps you control your power and technique better. I hurt my opponents a few times, not knowing how much pain a simple bending of the arm or pressing on the inner thigh could cause.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punch someone in the face and all they learn is that you are not to be trusted. They then go on to distrust other people in case they get a punch in the face and eventually you get a sick society based on mutual mistrust. Teach someone to fish and they can teach someone else to fish and eventually everyone is chilling out on the bankside and getting a barbecue started.

Teach a man to punch a fish in the face though, then he won't need expensive tackle and bait...

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should give a man a fish first, to see if he likes it, before you waste time teaching him how to fish.

In that same vein, people should have some taste for the combative arts, realize that they're going to get hit, thrown, etc.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodo Komodo wrote:
Teach a man to punch a fish in the face though, then he won't need expensive tackle and bait...

ROFL Too funny!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it's necessary to teach someone to punch someone else in the face. This is a rudimentary response that children exhibit.

Would it not be better the teach someone how to de-escalate the situation before it comes to punching people in the face? Would it not be better to teach someone, if all else fails, to end the fight?

I've been punched in the face... Ooh I don't know, a bunch. It never stopped me. In fact it angered me and that led to me wanting to show them how it feels.

Would it not be better to teach them how to end the fight rather than to arbitrarily punch someone in the face? Where in the face? At what angle? How hard? If that doesn't work, where else should I punch? And on and on and on.

As Spodo Komodo said, I think we ought to teach people how to punch fish in the face. If nothing else you'd have a lot of people laughing rather than fighting. Just a thought.

There's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. Probably not 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: