Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In eastern philosophy, the concept of trinity (heaven, earth, and people) signifies the harmony of the universe. The parts of the uniform (jacket, pants, and belt) form a trinity. The jacket symbolizes heaven; the pants symbolize earth, and the belt symbolizes the "person" that ties it all together. The colors of the belt also form a trinity. If you think of a human being as a trinity (consisting of a head, the body, and the extremities) then the body is at the center of a human being, and the waist is at the center of the body. Tying the belt around the waist signifies the desire to organize ones self and to unite the human trinity.

The belt helps students develop their ki/chi (inner energy) through the process of collecting and dispersing energy within their bodies. As the student puts on the belt, it encircles the waist two times and then the two ends meet at the center of the waist (tanjon) where they are tied in a triangular shaped (trinity) knot that denotes the oneness of a person. The tanjon, considered the source of ki/life force/vital energy, is a point about three inches below the navel and deep inside the body and is thought to be the center of the self. As a practical matter, it the approximate center of balance of the body. Part of the knot usually touches the body in front of the tanjon, reminding the wearer of his or her personal source of ki or power. Thus, while putting on the belt, the student encircles and collects all energy from without and within into the tanjon and locks it there with a knot so he or she can disperse the energy freely throughout the body to achieve power, harmony, order, and enlightenment while practicing in my case, TKD.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-19 09:01 ]

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kickchick

I like that, I'll have to spread it onto my students at the end of class.

Thanks

Tobias

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Old Kicker
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KickChick,

We went over that in class last night. We had the benefit of our senior instructor who went over it for about 20 minutes with us. Interesting stuff.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be a good thing to pass on to my friends at the dojang. I always thougt the belt was just a pretty piece of cotton holding the pants up! .

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickchick you couldn't have said it better. I believe thats why we all get into Karate in the first place even if we never know it.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nicely put representation of the belt, i should tell my sensei about that! He would enjoy telling everyone in the dojo.

Thanks

Singularity
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting and well thought-out. However, I avoid belts, martial arts or otherwise!

Dave

Deathcometh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singularity I think your right belts aren't needed. But it's all the media about whether someone is a black belt or brown.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Internal Arts and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: