Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed and reaction time..both come from practice. pracitice..and then more practice!

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Hansenator. Another suggestion is looking into the style of Yi Chuan. Let me know here what you think of it. It is one of those styles of Kung Fu that is not easily grasped but in time with practice could be what you have been looking for.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange that no one has mentioned that their are some trainable skills that are essential for self defense before any physical techniques or running is required. Things like a good sense of observation to know when and where an attack might come. Signs of an imminent attack and situational awareness to know where obstacles and potential escape routes are located, as well as everything else around. Without any of these skills, all the physical techniques are unusable.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic of self defense and training for it is a very tricky subject to pin down. The variables are too immense. A person could dedicate and specialize in it and it still wouldn't be 100% effective. I believe avoidance of sticky situation's and ones own attitude can go far in averting danger but physical training for it, if you cannot run, build big muscles and practice moving fast to avoid punches and kicks. Every SD situation will be different your reactions however can be improved opone to make the best of it. Minimizing risk factors. Improvisational weapon skills can play a factor also. Being cunning using misdirection or misinformation in your escape. We have built in survival skills, if we are willing to use them that is another question.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is true that humans all have survival instincts and are physically unchanged from the way they were in more dangerous times, the lifestyle and environment most people live in nowadays has caused theses senses to be repressed. This is why an ordinary, untrained individual is usually unable to react to danger quickly enough or even see it coming.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we loose our sense of survival at any time we are likely to get killed or badly hurt. Run over by a car or fall off a mountain top. I think that survival skills may have changed to monetary skills instead. Not survival of the fitest but survival of the richest. It has been said that attacks happen mostly by people we know. Which makes SD more complicated than it already is.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, a lot of attackers aren't physically fit. They smoke, drink, eat all the wrong things, do little exercise. The have one punch, usually a highly telegraphed right hook. They win though because they are used to fighting real fights, get the drop on you, and get it over with in a very, very short amount of time, usually before you even realise you're in a fight.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could only train one part of myself for self defence, what would it be? Tough question.

I thought about strong legs. Lots of obvious benefits. But no good if the crest of you is weak.

Thinking more, I'm kind of torn between strong neck muscles, or strong hands. I'd probably lean towards strong hands. Here's my reasoning.

Neck muscles are so often overlooked. Yet if you are knocked down, guess which muscles have to serve as brakes to stop your head bouncing off the concrete floor. If someone punches your head and lands a good shot, your new kitchen muscles are all that stands between the rotational force and your vertebrate.

But that's all a bit defeatist. If you are getting beat up, you can't protect your head and neck for very long without doing something else, whatever that something else might be.

So if I could only train one part, it would probably be my hands. With weak hands, I can't punch my attacker without injuring myself. I can't grip him and wrestle/grapple him. If he grabs me I can't apply a wrist lock leading to an arm bar. If I fall forward and instinctively land in my hands, if they are weak, they are finished.

Thinking about training, in free sparring (mostly kicking, punching and blocking) I think I've sprained fingers and wrists more often than any other kind of minor injury. In one step, the only thing that can save a technique when you miss the perfect spot is pure strength in the hands and wrists. Likewise said strength can be enough to negate a technique being applied to you, if your opponent doesn't get it perfectly right.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitness as a whole should not be overlooked. Cardio, strength, flexibility all go to making your performance better. Which increases your chances of winning. Being stronger means being more durable. You have to be able to work at 100 percent for short duration bursts, recover quickly, and move effectively. Work on all of it.

Chucksmanhood
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
It is strange that no one has mentioned that their are some trainable skills that are essential for self defense before any physical techniques or running is required. Things like a good sense of observation to know when and where an attack might come. Signs of an imminent attack and situational awareness to know where obstacles and potential escape routes are located, as well as everything else around. Without any of these skills, all the physical techniques are unusable.

Thats just common sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: