Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Physical fitness for self-defense? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm interested in people's opinions on what fitness qualities would be most important in a self-defense scenario. Running would be on top of my list but what if that's not an option. I suppose more of everything would help but since it's not not easy training for everything, where would you focus your efforts?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicality is an important element, but not everyone attacked is physically fit. So, for me, it's the effectively applied applications through acquired knowledge; hence, learning the necessary nuts and bolts of self-defense in a real world way as to rid it of fancy unrealistic methods!!

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. I was thinking more as a supplement to normal training and preparation. Since it's not a competition, there's no worry about weight classes and the environment and conditions would certainly be different.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansenator wrote:
That's a good point. I was thinking more as a supplement to normal training and preparation. Since it's not a competition, there's no worry about weight classes and the environment and conditions would certainly be different.

It's not a competition but it might be useful to look at what conditioning competition fighters are undertaking. What allows them to keep hitting and keep getting hit? Strength (explosive) and endurance are both necessary.

One hit, one kill is a nice ideal to aim for but in reality you might have to take a few shots first and dish a few out over the course of a fight.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think building strength is important. Muscle helps protect the body, so having some strength is important. Also, some explosive, anaerobic exercising would be good, too, which would allow you to explode in short bursts with attacks, and if those are powerful enough, it gives you a window to get away.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think building strength is important. Muscle helps protect the body, so having some strength is important. Also, some explosive, anaerobic exercising would be good, too, which would allow you to explode in short bursts with attacks, and if those are powerful enough, it gives you a window to get away.

Solid post!!

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

That's kind of what I was thinking. If you don't have to stay in a certain weight class, you don't have to worry about becoming too heavy. Dan John has written about "armor building". The idea is to build muscle and toughen up to help protect you during contact sports like football.

If you combine strength and explosiveness with solid technique, I think that's a winning combination. The hardest kicker I've come across by far was lean, muscular, athletic, and had great technique. Holding the Thai pads for him was an experience I won't forget.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a very poor runner--my lungs are permanently damaged from childhood asthma, my feet are pronated, and my knees are bad. I can't run very fast for very long, even under the influence of adrenaline. For self defense purposes, for me, it's important to be able to deliver maximum damage in a very short time so I can escape at a sustainable pace. Strength/explosiveness (and technique, of course) are very important for that, in my opinion.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All round conditioning is very important. There have been times when the only reason I have won fights, is I was in far better condition than the other guys !

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training for self defense purposes, I would suggest first learning which type of fighter category you would belong to. There are three basic styles and like the game rock, paper and scissors one style is better at defeating another style. The ROCK is the heavy hitter best at defeating the inside fighter SCISSORS. PAPER is the outside fighter better equipped to beat the heavy hitter ROCK. You can also be an ADAPTABLE fighter changing strategy from all three. Or base your style incorporating two styles at the same time. Such as an inside heavy hitter. Or an outside heavy hitter. Also can train to be a quick inside/outside fighter. Personally I'm the adaptable type; it is the most challenging one to be. If you are already a heavy hitter ROCK, then I would suggest incorporating the inside SISSORS strategy with ROCK! Because most people with fighting experience take the PAPER outside stance, presumably they started the fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: