Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Do a Google search of the area, or try the phone book. That should get you pointed in the right direction.

What about the schools of the MA that don't utilize either the net and/or the phone book? Many great schools are overlooked because they don't use either to attract students.

Then its time to use the old shoe-leather express!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Do a Google search of the area, or try the phone book. That should get you pointed in the right direction.

What about the schools of the MA that don't utilize either the net and/or the phone book? Many great schools are overlooked because they don't use either to attract students.

Then its time to use the old shoe-leather express!

That's what I'm talking about.

jplopez
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, and Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cclucky04 wrote:
If I understand correctly the different styles of Shorin Ryu are based on lineage? The style I took before was Matsumura, headed by Grandmaster Kise.
After reading more on history and googling different names I ran across one school in Houston pretty close to me(30 minutes) and was wondering if anyone knew any more information about it.

The website is www.kenshinkai.com Kazumasa Yokoyama was a student of Grandmaster Shugoro Nakazato, digging further into that side Grandmaster Shugoro Nakazato was a student of Chosin Chibana who was a student of Anko Itosu and we're back up to Matsumura again.

Back to the original questions I was going to ask, it looks like Kazumasa Yokoyama isn't attached to any of the Shorin Ryu governing bodies at this time??
I can't seem to find any information on how long Kazumasa Yokoyama was a student, what rank he is, or if he's attached to any organization.

These questions might be better in a different section of the forum, but for this thread, would this be pretty close to the style I was learning before?

I just read your question. I have been training with Mr. Yokoyama for about 2 years now. He is pretty legit. I would suggest to go to the dojo and check out the workout. I was looking for a Shito Ryu dojo around the Houston area and did not find one close to me. But, I found this dojo, and I am very content with it.!!!!

kinetickick
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: tkd, jiu jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this day and age, it is more important to find a reputable school than a particular style. I would ask around for recommendations from people I trust, and be open to new styles. It is not crazy to ask for references.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: