Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Pivoting on the heel in TKD is akin to sacrilege. It's a massive no no. .

As much as I dislike agreeing with TKD ..I have to agree with this! lol

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Kanku65
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel completely off balance if I pivot on my heel.
If I get struck/pushed, I have nothing to fall back on. My heel is down, and my weight is back. I'm going down.
Pivoting on the ball of my foot, if I'm pushed or struck, I can plant my heel, and my weight is already forward so I make instant connection to the ground.

While sparring do you have your weight on your heels or the balls of your feet? If it's the heels, surely you cannot fight. If it's the balls of your feet, then there's another step to add before evading a strike.
Perhaps if you fight with both your feet flat to the floor at all times, you'll be ok, but this is an unlikely occurrence.
The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?
- Master Funakoshi

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not knocking anybody who does pivot on the heel of course, but I just can't really understand a benefit. I read some of the reasoning but still it seems to me that the balls were made to ballance, along with your toes. The balls of your feet are also able to create a soft weight distribution and bounce that cannot be accomplished on your heels. I can see some people finding it easier based on the fact that we are all different. I don't think one can truly move with the same fluidity though, if a style isn't based on fluid movement then great, but I think the most natural way to do things is usually the best.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pivoting on the heels or toes both have advantages and disadvantages.

Do as your Sensei requests. TKD has another methodology than Shotokan. So as all styles have their differences, that is why they are called different styles.

Personally I pivot on my toes and on my heels depending on the situation or techniques I'm using.

Pivoting heel or toe could depend on what surface you are standing on also.

Aikido practioners need to pivot on their toes (balls of the feet) for quick footwork mobility, one way then the other way for their throwing techniques to work.

What works for you will ultimately be your choice eventually. Body mechanics is something worth looking in to. Running on the heels is not practical.

Tai Chi students pivot on the heels for a single foot swivel movement. To pivot on the toes just wouldn't work for their intended techniques.

Jumping on your toes and jumping on your heels both have there advantages also. Something worth investigating.

Of course to perfect moving on your toes and heels you will eventually learn the hidden secrets that they both posses.

Heel and toe perfection and to understand when to use them, will lead you to moving better than those that only use one way (toe) or another (heel).

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Pivoting on the heels or toes both have advantages and disadvantages.

Do as your Sensei requests. TKD has another methodology than Shotokan. So as all styles have their differences, that is why they are called different styles.

Personally I pivot on my toes and on my heels depending on the situation or techniques I'm using.

Pivoting heel or toe could depend on what surface you are standing on also.

Aikido practioners need to pivot on their toes (balls of the feet) for quick footwork mobility, one way then the other way for their throwing techniques to work.

What works for you will ultimately be your choice eventually. Body mechanics is something worth looking in to. Running on the heels is not practical.

Tai Chi students pivot on the heels for a single foot swivel movement. To pivot on the toes just wouldn't work for their intended techniques.

Jumping on your toes and jumping on your heels both have there advantages also. Something worth investigating.

Of course to perfect moving on your toes and heels you will eventually learn the hidden secrets that they both posses.

Heel and toe perfection and to understand when to use them, will lead you to moving better than those that only use one way (toe) or another (heel).

Solid post!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: