Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Combat Karate, Kenpo,Jujitsu, and Boxing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
USCMAAI wrote:
DWx wrote:
Well-informed post. Its sad that so many instructors don't teach the "martial" sense of Martial Arts. IMO the sport side is great as long as it is recognised as a sport and is made a by-product of the self defense, not the other way around.

I would have to agree with you on one this. All martial arts were designed for one purpose....protection of self. Therefore self-defense should not be a by-product of training. If anything it should be the main goal. The other aspects of learning martial arts (self-betterment, tourney participation, exercise, etc) should be considered by-products. This doesnt mean that they are not important, but secondary to learning how to protect yourself and your family. After all it doesnt matter if you have achieved enlightenment, or won the grand champion of kata/sparring if you are assaulted and killed on the way home from the dojo!

Great points, both of you. The sport aspect is great, because of the way you train your body. Being fit and athletic is very important for self-defense, I think.

One small point that I may combat you on, USCMAAI, if I may, is the origin of the fighting styles. I don't know if I would say self-defense, but rather, the need for armed combat in mass groups. I would think the goals would be somewhat different, but I could be off. What do you think?

Your point is taken, but even though martial training in the old days may have been in terms of military application, combat in that period still depended upon one on one (and possibly 2/3 on 1) encounters. Fighiting was still individualized.

K.Mabon
United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading your post, it helps me to realise that you have risen above alot of female martial artists in stating what you have.
This will in turn will make you train harder and become a better martial artist than many of you male counterparts.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
USCMAAI wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
That is a very nice post. I like the 5 phases that you discuss, and I would love to hear some more information on that concept.

By the way thank you for your comments, I love to discuss the martial arts, and it is refreshing to see so many people who love it as well.

Hey, thanks. Appeciate that!

The BB of C wrote:
BRAVO!
This post by USCMAAI has been a "Hitting the Nail on the Head" moment. Stay tuned for "Webster Kuk Sool Won Students Try To Defend Themselves and Fail because They Don't Learn the Things Listed Above."

Now you just have to tailor your technique training on your own to meet the needs described above, and make your style effective, instead of accepting it as not being effective.

I knew that. And I have a few theories as to how to do it. But I'm not really worried about myself. I'm not in martial arts for self defense anymore. But I am worried about the others in the class, the girls who are in there for self defense, and they're not learning how to use their techniques and all the good techniques come after four-six years and even then they might not ever really learn them because of the way they're taught. It actually pains me a little bit to see that

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USCMAAI wrote:
Your point is taken, but even though martial training in the old days may have been in terms of military application, combat in that period still depended upon one on one (and possibly 2/3 on 1) encounters. Fighiting was still individualized.

Point taken. However, the goal is differnt. The goal then was to kill/maim. Now, the goal is more or less based on surviving, in which neither of these has to happen.

However, the same techniques can be used for both.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
USCMAAI wrote:

Point taken. However, the goal is differnt. The goal then was to kill/maim. Now, the goal is more or less based on surviving, in which neither of these has to happen.

However, the same techniques can be used for both.

Agreed! This is more a matter of Use Of Force, which we also teach in our school. Some techniques are used for what we call a lethal response, while others are more for follow up control or finnishing techniques.

K.Mabon

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally agree with you i have trained in traditional karate and all they taught us how to do were katas they said they taught self defence which is true to some extent but the martial art i train in now is self defence orinted and we practice in all kinds of diffrent types of fighting and I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

KitsuneAdrienne
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Koei-Kan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Karate (Koei-Kan) we fight in full bogu armor so we can fight as hard as we possibly can. I have a great set of instructors and though they are strict on forms, they also push practicality in situations. I like that we just dont learn moves, we learn how to handle ourselves and react in a practical way. This was one of the reasons why I chose that particular school.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, excellent post. I would like to add that no matter what style of martial arts one trains in, some form of street self defense should be MANDATORY in EVERY style.

When I go to tournaments and watch sparring matches and see these fantastic sparrers get their trophies, I often wonder how they would fare in a real life situation when you don't have pads and gear on, and there are NO rules.

It's great to learn the artistic side of martial arts, but being prepared for life's nasty surprises is very important (and practical) as well.

USCMAAI
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger1962 wrote:
Excellent, excellent post. I would like to add that no matter what style of martial arts one trains in, some form of street self defense should be MANDATORY in EVERY style.

When I go to tournaments and watch sparring matches and see these fantastic sparrers get their trophies, I often wonder how they would fare in a real life situation when you don't have pads and gear on, and there are NO rules.

It's great to learn the artistic side of martial arts, but being prepared for life's nasty surprises is very important (and practical) as well.

I agree Tiger!

K.Mabon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: