Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kennard Skynard
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Please help me with my bad decision Reply with quote

I know this is wrong but ill be honest. Ive always wanted to learn martial arts ever since i was 10. But now more then ever I am dedicated to learn one. This is going to sound bad, and I do know its for all the wrong reasons but here it goes. I am 5-08 tall, 175 pounds, in good shape and want to kick the hell out of a guy who has 100 pounds on me, at least a foot more of height, used to box, is 40 years old and is in great shape.
At work all day he terrorizes, ridicules and bullies everyone around including the owners. Everyone is scared of him and tolerates his arrogence. Its a union work place so its hard to fire anyone let alone someone they are terrorfied of. If you speak back and demand respect he challenges you outside, when you decline it gets worse. He is not the only one like that there eighter. Im sick of it and cant quit cause of the pay and familly. I dont care if it takes me 1 year of trainning or 10. I do know he did wrestle in colledge also which makes it even harder. Believe me this trully is NOT the only reason I want to take a MA but it is a major factor.
Now after hearing this which MA should I consider? Here is a list of available styles I have in my area.

TEACHES

1.) Karate, Kenpo, Kickboxing, Grappling, Muay Tai and weaponry.

2.) Aikido

3.) Tae Kwon Do

4.) Tai Chi

5.) Olympic style Judo & Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu (phone num. not
working so maybe shut down.)

6.) Genbu-Kai Shito-Ryu Karate-Do, Okinawan Kobudo, Toyama-
Ryu Batto-Do, and Traditional Kenpo

7.) Genbu-Kai

8.) Aikido, Laido

Please help me out by chosing one and a breif reason why. (if chossing # 5 then chose a second choice also cause they me out of buisness.)

THANKS

Last edited by Kennard Skynard on Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going by the reasons you've stated, i'd say mauy thai might be the best for the situation. that and if you could find a no holds barred type of training.

mark out aikido, its great but takes too long for what you want.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJJ and Muay Thai are the quickest ways to "get tough". BJJ would be more advisable as you would learn stuff that would enable you to hand the guys rear end to him on a platter, without you doing serious damage to him (i.e. risking harsh consequences).

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirves wrote:
BJJ and Muay Thai are the quickest ways to "get tough". BJJ would be more advisable as you would learn stuff that would enable you to hand the guys rear end to him on a platter, without you doing serious damage to him (i.e. risking harsh consequences).
I concur ... a good grappling art will (a) help counter his wrestling experience, and (b) let you deal with someone with minimum chance of breaking something. If you can't get to a BJJ class, Judo, Sambo or Ju-Jitsu may be worth trying. (I personally have no experience of Aikido so can't comment on that).

If you are really serious, add boxing or another style that uses boxing moves (Savate, Muay Thai, Kickboxing). Most fights start off at punching distance, so to be able to at least "get by" at this distance is essential. (While western boxing itself isn't often listed as a martial art, it is actually a very effective one, and one that is likely to give quite quick returns on the training).

BTW, if this guy does actually physically bully someone, or can be trapped into doing it without it looking like he was, then maybe the police could deal with him for you?

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought of calling the union and demanding that they step in and meet with management? It is management's responsibility to provide a hassle free, non-intimidating, and safe workplace. If many of you feel this way then there is safety in numbers and your union rep should be able to handle this one.

If you decide to take matters into your own hands, you may be the one getting disciplined, arrested, looking for a new job, looking for new teeth, or if you do finish it, looking over your shoulder for the sequel.

If you are looking into starting MA, then check around and visit a few places, but do it for the right reasons. Good luck.

Freestyler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about the wrestling.

I've grappled with wrestlers, while they have excellent take down skills and good positional control, they don't know very many submissions, but what's to stop them from pounding the crap out of you from the mount?

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if he wants to "take it outside", that's pretty much a threat. You could probably call the police and get him arrested. After he's been arrested, it should be much easier to get him fired.

There's no problem with wanting to defend yourself against this guy, but initiating the fight isn't the answer. Especially if you do manage to beat him up...then the police will be coming for you! Which means you'll possibly have to pay lawyer fees/fines/do jail time...all of which making it harder to support your family.

Keeping all of that in mind, I would suggest Aikido or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My main reasons for this are as follows:

A. Will be quicker to learn. These styles (Aikido especially) deal a lot with redirection of movement, instead of strikes. Because of this, you won't have to worry about "bulking up" just to be effective. Most styles usually do include a few redirectional defenses, but with Aikido it's the main focus. You'll learn lots of techniques, and you'll probaby learn some effective ones very early on. If you're very worried about the fight going to the ground, BJJ is the way to go.
B. Also, because Aikido focuses on not disabling but not harming your opponent, he can't really press charges against you. However, if you used something like Muay Thai or a similar striking art, you'd end up leaving the guy bloodied and bruised. As satisfying as that my sound, you'll still be relatively unscathed...and how will that look from the police's point of view?

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
Since this is the real world and it is for keeps, I would goad the sob into hitting me in front of a few witnesses at work. If he hits you he will get fired, if he dont get fired you can call the police. He will then be arrested for assault and battery then he will be fired. Most respectable companies do not want to deal with violent felons on the payroll. MA is not the answer to your problem. If you want to learn MA do it for yourself not to get even. It takes years and hard work to be proficient enough to take someone bigger and stronger than you with a natural agression and tendency to fight. Try to beat him with your brain and legally. One day some bigger nastier guy will not take kindly to his * and not be as civilized as most of us are and he will get what he deserves. Just be smart, take care of yourself and your family

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Red J said seems wise advice...

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For quick self defense, I would agree with Muay Thai.

However, I just came away from a plant with a union. Are you in the union as well, or are you salary? In either case, the statement above is correct. Management is responsible for a "safe" work environment. If they won't listen, then tell them they'll be hearing from your lawer. Also, you can call a few state and federal organizations to report your employer's lack of response, and the police regarding the threats.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: