Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SenseiMike
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, KnockDown kumite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: politics for hosting a karate tournament? Reply with quote

I'd really love to host a full contact/knock down tournament aimed at open syles, tkd, karate, even bjj. But i have no Ideas how about the dos and don'ts, anyone have any helpful advise?

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the budoseek.net forums have a few forums regarding instructor problems, openning schools, adn the like. I'm sure a few people there will have hosted tournaments. My sensei hosted one a long time ago. I can tell you that you will need good one day insurance. Especially if you want to make it a knockdown tournament. If you have a partner or two that might help financially, but make sure they're trustworthy. As far as organization, I'm sure you've been to a few tournaments yourself. Talk to the promoters and organizers at those tournaments. Promotion of the tournament is a very important thing that can be costly. Also, you need to make sure you have sufficient help. You need there to be enough black belts that show up to judge, you need to make sure you have enough people to work consessions if you have them, you need timers and scorekeepers. You also need to schedule it at the right time. Take note of the big tournaments, the Diamond Nationals in October, Battle of Atlanta, Tornado International, etc. Then look at when the state championships are for your state and the neighboring states, since that's where most of your competitors will come from. Up here we used to have a tournament, but didn't this year, called Kickin' In the New Year. It would happen the weekend of New Year's if New Year happened early in the week, or it would happen one weekend after New Year if New Year happened late in the week or on the weekend. That could be a good time for a tournament.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: