Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities.

I watch MMA fighters like Benson Henderson wear their hair really long is a mystery to me. Yet even he had braided it many times (although not every time, oddly) for fights.

Time has taken care of my ability to wear my hair long and it still has the chance to look good. But as a fighter, I certainly see the need for shorter hair...even for stand-up fighters.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities

I watch MMA fighters like Benson Henderson wear their hair really long is a mystery to me. Yet even he had braided it many times (although not every time, oddly) for fights.

Time has taken care of my ability to wear my hair long and it still has the chance to look good. But as a fighter, I certainly see the need for shorter hair...even for stand-up fighters.

Not much of a mystery considering hair pulling is against the rules, in at least UFC is concerned; Rule 15.A.v.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a male is an automatic disadvantage, too. Shall we cut that off, as well? ;-p

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:
I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities

Not much of a mystery considering hair pulling is against the rules, in at least UFC is concerned; Rule 15.A.v.

There are more disadvantages to fighting with long hair than just having it pulled. Henderson spent so much time pushing his hair out of his face during the first fight with Anthony Pettis that it negatively affected his ability to defend himself.

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have quite long hair myself that i wear into a ponytail when training or up in a bun, no real issues whilst training in MA class, self defence wise i generally wear my hair up day to day anyway plus with the majority of street fights i have witnessed (involving women anyway) they generally start with the two girls clamping onto each others hair and not letting go, (blokes fights i've seen have generally been windmill arms all over the place). So if someone was to grab my hair i would feel confident enough to know that i would be able to counter it thanks to self defence techniques taught in class.

I do wonder though how i would cope in bjj where you are rolling around on the ground and there is more chance of your partner rolling on to your hair unintentionally and effectively pinning your head to the mat! lol

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
I had long hair in the late 80s in college. I used to get hit in the eye by my ponytail holder when I threw spinning kicks. As a stand-up fighter, I never thought twice about it. That is until I watched UFC One. The ability to grab at the head & hair. Then my eyes were opened to the ugly possibilities.

I believe that even though hair pulling is against UFC rules, there are still maximum length standards. I remember Emil Meek being forced to shave for a fight. Women fighters usually have corn rows. Whether this is to comply with rules or be more practical I am not sure.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a crowded party, I witnessed one person giving another person a light for his cigarette, a young man with his back to them, flicked his hair back and it caught on fire.

There are other issues concerning long hair due to insects and hygiene.

Those that have an original Rastafarian hair style, is usually cleaned in the ocean, something inner city dwellers don't have readily available to them.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

As a female who's had long hair all my life, I've never had that problem. I just take showers regularly...

I don't think long hair on men is inherently dirtier than long hair on women and most people seem fine with long hair for women.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
At a crowded party, I witnessed one person giving another person a light for his cigarette, a young man with his back to them, flicked his hair back and it caught on fire.

Those that have an original Rastafarian hair style, is usually cleaned in the ocean, something inner city dwellers don't have readily available to them.

I've known plenty of inner-city folk with dreads. They use shampoo just like everyone else.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

I've known plenty of inner-city folk with dreads. They use shampoo just like everyone else.
None residue shampoo is preferable, if dreds are not cared for adequately the hair can grow mold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: