Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Ponytails and Martial arts Reply with quote

I always believed that to wear a ponytail or having long hair, puts that person at a disadvantage, when in a fight.

Yes Japanese Samurai warriors had a ponytail but they were also wearing the sharpest swords ever made.

When women fight it often turns in to a hair pulling contest.

Conan the barbarian, Hercules, even Brad Pitt portrayed Achilles with long hair; isn't having no hair at all more suitable for fighting purposes?

Do you have long hair as a martial artist? As for many being bald, don't have a choice in the matter, but if possible would you wear a ponytail or a long beard?

Could it be that having a skinhead image or the Buddhists look just isn't for you?

Dreadlocks is another hairstyle that is fashionable for martial artists in the Caribbean, but looking like Jack Sparrow or Bob Marley might look attractive, there are realities to be taken in to consideration, as a fighter.

Why the long hair and why take the risk of growing an obvious disadvantage, if you are a fighter?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the type of fight. If you are in the UFC or Boxing, there are rules that must be followed. Also it is useful as a marketing tool like the Canadian guy billed as "The Viking".

If it is a non-consensual fight, then there is a clear disadvantage. I would expect a serious fighter would take his or his opponents hair into consideration.

But beyond those considerations, military and law enforcement often wear their hair shorter than regulation.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair is a definite disadvantage in a real no rules fight.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The example of the samurai's hair must be taken in context of history and culture. Long hair tied in top knots were a status symbol and as much part of the samuraļ as bearing swords.

People of lesser status simply were forbidden to have long hair and have certain hair styles. A similar phenomenon was present in China where men had long braids until the mid 1900's. This style was the norm for the time, but there were also shorter styles. Shorn or shaved heads were for monks.

Throughout history long hair styles identified the wearer as a having either a special status or a specific influential role. Warriors, scholars, officials and many others.

Nowadays there is no longer a need to display status or identify with hairstyles and whatever one wears is a matter or preference. It can be a potential disadvantage to have long hair or anything providing a hold to an attacker. Then again so is a wearing a necktie. Personally, the same principle applies with hair and clothing: comfort, freedom of movement and practicality above all.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair is definitely a disadvantage in a fight, but as a 30-year-old children's librarian, I'm not expecting to get into any throwdown brawls any time soon. I'd rather have my hair the way I like it. I'm not going to change my appearance on the off chance I get into a fight. I have learned some defenses against hair pulling for that case. But in the end, I will wear my hair in a ponytail for class (I wear it down the rest of the time).

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you there Lupin, No ponytail for me either. straight out brawl they have to be a disadvange, mind you if there are weapons involved (chairs, bottles etc), having no hair at all is going to cost you also.....

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say do whatever you like. Self defense isn't my primary focus for martial arts. I'm studying it to have a healthier body and mind.

But in the spirit of this conversation, your choice of dress could take away some of the advantages of your training. Jeans (real ones, not the spandex jeans they started selling recently) could prevent you from getting your leg up as high as you like for kicks. Slippery shoes could cause you to fall while kicking, or shoes with too much grip will hurt your pivots. Leather jackets or heavy winter coats could really restrict your upper body, too (we have about 5 to 6 months of winter where I live.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling of ones hair might occur no matter if it's long or short, but of course, the shorter the hair, the least it'll be pulled.

I always wear my hair very short. So, no worries there.

I wear a long beard, but still, no worries there, either.

You want to pull my hair, if I had any, as well as my beard?!? Then go for it, and I'll react accordingly to the situation appropriately.

Hair is just one other thing to defend, and to be expected from time to time, and therefore, I'll not worry about it until the time to worry about it is here; not until there.

To me, it's inconsequential to worry about my hair and/or my beard being grabbed, yanked, and/or pulled. I'll deal with it at that moment, and not until then.

Besides, for me, escaping from those types of attacks are so very effortless!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At ten/eleven years old or there about, having long hair was very fashionable for a boy.

Then out of nowhere a local bully at eighteen years of age, pulled me backwards to the ground.

Staring up at him while on my back, I pulled my self up to only bounce my head back down sharply hitting the concrete floor, with the back of my head.

I hadn't notice that he had one foot standing on my hair.

Laying there completely helpless and in a type of shock.

He eventually let me go, the experience was unforgettable, as it happened almost fifty years ago.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having long hair can end up being a handlebar for someone to hold onto, so yes, it can be a disadvantage. "Control the head, control the body" becomes easier if hair is long and can be grabbed easily. That said, personal preference determines how long one's hair is, so they must be ready to deal with that possibility in a confrontation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: