Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Positive Reinforcement Vs. Punishment Reply with quote

There is much debate about this in North American society. North American society is leaning towards positive reinforement by reinforcing good behavior when raising their kids. Asian society uses punishment, such as spanking to discipline their kids.

Although I have seen some martial arts schools use positive reinforcement, it appears to me that the general public views martial arts school using punishment to supress bad behavior. As a result, the general public views martial artists having discipline with strict masters. Asian masters are more likely to use punishment, yet many who believe in positive reinforcement, train under them and learn discipline and become good martial artists..Why is that? any thoughts???

What is your environment like at your martial arts school? What works better in a martial arts school? Positive rein. or punishment?

Freestyler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in a PMA (positive mental attitude), which is shown in our actions.

If the only thing a student hears is criticism, he will start to think that he's no good. If, on the other hand he hears praise, he will start to think he's good.

If you believe in yourself and others believe in yourself when you don't, you end up achieving.

Forgive me if my point isn't clear, it's late.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Freestyler said (see, we agree ) PMA is sometimes better. One must be told when one mistakes, but one must also be told it's OK, the technique was good.
Punishment is also a good "weapon" when dealing with some students who need discipline.

KU
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, Aikido, Kendo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis it is your job as a teacher to ensure your students progress, so if a student needs to be told he is doing good then do so (for people lacking self-confidence) or if they need to be punished do that. The only problem occurs if you appear to be favouring one student by praising them up and wiping down another, so you must be discrete in handing out praise.

Caffeine King
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikido (badly)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear of punishment usually fades over time but everyone appreciates a compliment. Having said that, everyone should have their feet firmly on the ground. No-one - especially in martial arts - should ever be led to believe that they are better than they really are. Never say "That's great!" Say "Getting better there!"

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I teach, there is no good or bad, positive or negative, just training. If you step onto my dojo floor, you are there to train your best, be quiet, listen, DO what I tell you - no more or less, etc... It's either my way or the highway! I have some difficult concepts to teach, and they are usually not understood by many Americans (although I'm full blooded American myself...). In order for them to truly understand the art I'm teachning them, they have to do it my way. Else, leave. I give no exceptions. Class spirit from ALL is very important to the learning process and I except nothing less from any of my students.

- Killer -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that both have their place. The benefits of positive reinforcement are well known. But also fear of punishment, whether severe or not can motivate someone a lot as well. Remember how we learned not to eat unripe fruit? We ate one and went holy crap that is NASTY!!! That worked better than" okay honey, dont eat those until they are ripe okay?"

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a fan of beating kids. However when a kid gets its tail smacked with a belt for doing wrong you can bet they are less likely to do it again. One paddeling left schools you saw school violence go up, drop out rate go up, and test scores go down. You can do the math.

yellowsnow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G95champ wrote:
Im not a fan of beating kids. However when a kid gets its tail smacked with a belt for doing wrong you can bet they are less likely to do it again. One paddeling left schools you saw school violence go up, drop out rate go up, and test scores go down. You can do the math.

In a way your right...I do not have children, but if I did, you can damn well gurantee any teacher that decided to 'paddle' my kid, would be in for a world of pain..no matter what he did...It would be my responsibility to disipline my child, and teach him to be good and avoid getting in trouble. Maybe it's the parents that need a 'paddling' somtimes...lol...

YS

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dojo uses a lot of positive reinforcement. We use the "Praise-Correct-Praise" system. For example, if a kid is doing a kata or something, and has the wrong leg out, we'll say something like:
"That's a great stance, Tommy, just switch your legs and it'll be perfect!" Once Tommy switches we say something like "Good job! That looks awesome." Basically, you want a praise to accompany every correction, preferably two praises per correction. But don't reach for praises...if Tommy's stance really sucked, don't tell him it was good...pick something else that looked good.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: