Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Practical Kung Fu? Reply with quote

People like Iaian Abernethy are doing the Practical Karate thing and a lot of self-defense classes seem to be karate based. Also, traditional martial arts that make it into competitions like UFC seem to be mostly karate.
Maybe there’s a lot I’m not aware of but it seems like you don’t see kung fu as often even though it contains lots of techniques which would be legal in a UFC environment and it has self-defense techniques galore.

Am I completely ignorant on this point or is kung fu under-represented in the world of self-defense/competition/security? Is there something about the history of the different martial arts in this country or the personality type of the people who tend to practice it? I'm just curious. Thanks.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the national "wushu" movement in China almost certainly had an impact. There are still many people teaching old-school Chinese martial arts, completely with practical applications, but they don't usually pressure test them. This means that even though they are teaching good material, they often teach it in a manner that has become too formalized and unrealistic. I've seen some Chen Taiji Chuan people pressure test what they do in competitions and challenge matches. There have also been a few Wing Chun people who did it, albeit without much success. Other than that, the pressure testing Chinese arts are combat sports like Shuaijiao (a grappling are) and Sanshou (a kickboxing art).
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Practical Kung Fu? Reply with quote

Hey its been awhile. One of my Kung Fu uncles - 2 or 3 of his students have competed in MMA/UFC competitions and have been successful. However, my Kung FU uncle also teaches Boxing, JKD, Kali, Kickboxing........
Also one of my students with a Wing Chun/Hung Gar background competed in these events. However, he went to a MMA Gym for 4 months before competing. I guess you have to learn the game. And I know of a Wing Chun - Instructor Level individual who competed in the UFC and lost his 1st match and retired.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, I think the lack of its overall presence in these circles has more to do with its lack of popularity and availability.

Think about why arts like TKD and Karate have become so popular in America; it had a lot to do with military presence in Korea and Japan, and military personnel bringing it home to America. The American military didn't have that kind of exposure to the Chinese Martial Arts, and by and large, we still don't, when you compare it to the number of Karate and TKD organizations that are out there. I think these factors probably have a lot to do with this, but I'm just spitballing here.

vaporman
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Mixed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does kung fu mean? to do something?doing?Doing special moves? Living life? all of it? If you copy bugs and animals moves then you make kung fu? Theres kung fu movements in karate...

Maybe the main reason is china has real and imaginary borders that have been used to keep information and people from crossing..They for the most part seem reluctant to share the secrets of old and new martial arts. Bruce lee was trying to break that cycle..back then man to man martial arts were necessary and why give secrets to potential enemy's??

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your thoughts everyone.

It's true that, at least around here, you don't see kung fu as often. Most of the MA schools seem to be Tae Kwon Do or Karate, in that order. Kung fu is around though, even if it's not as firmly entrenched. My current instructor spent time training in China and I believe Gin Foon Mark from Southern Mantis resides in the U.S.

Kung fu practice does seem to be very stylized, but I think the principles it's based on are sound. I think it has strayed a bit from its combative roots. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm in it more for fun and fitness than for fighting. It would be nice to feel like I could use it if I have to though. People could probably find ways to pressure test it if they wanted. I like to think of it in terms of "classical presentation" versus "practical application." I've seen some Silat, which looks a lot like Kung Fu if you're not familiar with it, and there's no doubt in my mind it can be effective. But the people who've shown me have been pretty talented and make a habit of pressure testing things.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Practical Kung Fu? Reply with quote

"and I believe Gin Foon Mark from Southern Mantis resides in the U.S. " Yes- Gin Foon Mark resides in the US - he is based in Minnesota since 1971.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Well, the national "wushu" movement in China almost certainly had an impact. There are still many people teaching old-school Chinese martial arts, completely with practical applications, but they don't usually pressure test them. This means that even though they are teaching good material, they often teach it in a manner that has become too formalized and unrealistic. I've seen some Chen Taiji Chuan people pressure test what they do in competitions and challenge matches. There have also been a few Wing Chun people who did it, albeit without much success. Other than that, the pressure testing Chinese arts are combat sports like Shuaijiao (a grappling are) and Sanshou (a kickboxing art).

What wastelander said.

also, I'm told Roy Nelson has a background in some kung fu style.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that not everyone recognises it as a legitimate Chinese Kung Fu style but you occasionally see a Lau Gar* practitioner or two in open competitions.

*Lau Gar as in the system taught by Master Simon Yau, not the Hung Gar set.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Well, the national "wushu" movement in China almost certainly had an impact.

I'm not really familiar with this. Can you share the highlights or is there a good place to read about it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: