Add KarateForums.com
Let's Help sensei8 in His Time of Need
KarateForums.com Awards 2021: Winners Revealed!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everybody here has covered what I was gonna say.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well punching from your hips does generate alot of power.......that whole one shot one kill deal and stuff

but

i would rather used a bunch of punches that have a sufficient amount of power rather then just having one really hard punch

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about karate..

but I do know that from doing kata with hands at the hips for my punches, when I got into a real fight I was able to punch hard and end it in one punch

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like doing it, but it's good for beginners cos it teaches the the 'ACTION, REACTION' principle... Your hand drives forward as your opposite side pulls back... It's a traditional karate and tkd thing for reverse punches. Boxers don't do it cos it's just not practical.

Angus

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a lot of the stuff like the horse stance training and punching (going through the whole range of motion from the hip) is great for beginners because it strengthens their whole body (or specific areas depending on the specific traditional technique/stance) and teaches effective bodily mechanics. I mean, if you fare well while fighting in a committed and not fairly mobile horse stance while throwing punches from the hip, imagine how quick and effective your sparring will be when you are in a much more practical sparring stance and you have a good understanding of how to channel power and speed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy that SpinningGB - the idea of training one way & fighting another just doesn't make sense. When it hits the fan you will fight the way you train.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree with you Yoda. While training for conflictual or threatening situations, you should train to react exactly as you would in real life, or vice versa (you will react exactly as you train). Maybe my words the first time around were all screwed up and wrong, I guess I was just saying that the horse stance and basic techniques, some of which may not have as much practical potential as other later techniques, are necessary at first to train the inexperienced mind as well as the inexperienced body when beginning on their martial arts journey. For example a low horse stance would put you in a very disadvantageous position (in most real life circumstances) but it is still an effective (perhaps not the best but still of somewhat merit and value) way of strengthening the legs and encouraging discipline.

When training for a marathon obviously you will not be spending a lot of time walking, because you will cover ground by running in the actual contest so your body will excel at what it is exposed to or put through during training. However, everyone has to learn how to walk first before they learn how to run and perfect or refine the art of running (i.e. energy conservation, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

steveking63
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point to think about is that nothing in traditional karate is wasted. Every move stance has a purpose. It may not always be obvious. But as your journey continues it may well become clearer. This gem was left with me early in my Karate training and has stayed with me.
Some really good points already made guys.
Thanks
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: