Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why learn to punch with your hands from the near the hip when it is not practical to do so when sparring or in a self defence situation.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start at the hip, you are more likely to remember to turn your hips, therefore getting more power from the technique. Also, it reinforces keeping in the correct stances. Our instructor always puts out a balance by reminding us to keep our hands up in a real fight, etc.

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think were your hands are when you are just walking on the streets, usually near your waist. Also when you practice punching from your hips your punches will become stronger and faster for a real fight where your hands are up near your chest.

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you don't pull back to the hip when you're actually fighting.
But, as previously mentioned, it does encourage you to rotate properly, so that when you're actually in your fighting stance, you will still rotate whilst punching.
It also is for discipline. To learn to control your body movements. All kihon and combinations etc are done a certain way...for example, when you punch gyakazuki, you punch to the solar plexus. When you punch oi-zuki, you punch level. We do this in ALL combinations. However, this isn't to say that you can't punch gyakazuki to the head in a practical situation. It's designed to enable you to control your movements, your accuracy. If you can't punch to the solar plexus when you're supposed to, it shows that you're not able to hit targets and control your movements. If you can't pull back, it shows you can't control your movements.
I actually had a discussion with somebody who thought we fought with our hands pulled back to our hips. I had a very hard time convincing him otherwise.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points everyone. Also the principle of reciprocal action. When one side is pushed forward pulling the other side back speeds up the movement and the power.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotating the hip does help in self defence and Kumite. When you rotate after a punch and you retract back, it makes it easier for a front leg kick!

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In time you will understand why, be patient the answer is within yourself

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the opponent has been setup, and I know that i have that spare milisecond to excecute a full punch with maximum power from the hips, whilst launching from a low stance - I do it. At that point it is both practical, and effective...

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear anon after studying for 31 years I think I know the answer the answer is simply tradition. You can learn how to turn your hips by learning to punch with your hands high.Rotating the hips is not learned by keeping your hands low to begin a punch otherwise no boxr would know how to turn their hips when they punch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram, Exactly! if you suffeciently understand how to punch you should be able to hit without a large decrease in power, with a almost fully extended arm. Try it some time, keep you guard reletively close to your target , i like having my right hand (backside) as far foward as my lead elbow throw a couple of reverse punches like this against a heavy bag, or one of those horrible makiwara youll be able to tell right away to what extent your rotating your hip.

Also examine modern foo work, the best traditional competitors for kumite tend to have the best or i should say least traditional foot work.

I think the more and more karateka actually spar the more and more the style is going to change, i read somewhere that in okinawa it was just kata, so if it was just kata theyd need things like chamber to make sure they were doing the right dynamics.

Maybe im trying to start a flame war i can't tell
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: