Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know the martial arts are for everyone and i love practicing with people of all ages

dont take this the wrong way but....

i do get a little annoyed when i am doing drills with an older practicioner and they do not want me to throw them because they are afraid of throwing out their back ....... i find it quite hard to learn when i cannot do a full throw to see what it is like

another situation is when i was practicing with this one older lady.....we were just practicing some wrist locks and she did not want me to apply it on her because she has "sensitive wrists" then when it was her turn she decided crank my wrist almost to the point of fracture

i am 17 so im a youngin and i heal quickly so now i will only practice with people my age because i feel i am being short changed practicing with the older folk

no offence to the older people here

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this one. In our dojo classes are determined by age and then split again by rank. that way everybody in a class is on a similar level of fitness and skill.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see your point prodigy. And the reasons you metion are why I chose not to do ju-jutsu or any grappling form for that matter.

The way I see it when you do something you go for it. And if you find that you cannot handle some of the basics that the art builds its foundation on it is time to find something else.

So I may not jump. That does not mean I do not try. Or that does not mean I try to find the most acceptable substitute that still performs the purpose of the move.

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometime training with know it all younger folk is a pain ....the ya ya I know it all gets old quick..also the i will take it easy on you cuz you have some grey hair thing...I understand what you are saying though..if you dont want to get flipped punched or joint locked go home and watch Oprah or go do your tai chi somewhere else

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not one of the know it all youngins

i believe we can all learn from eachother no matter what sex age or rank you are

but i just want to practice a technique "all the way" i cant do it because the older people cant handle it due to a bad back or whatever........i just feel it is effecting my learning and progress as a martial artist

i am one of the 3 youngest people in the adult jiu jitsu program at our dojo.....our sensei splits all the young people up and makes us go with the older people

i just get frustrated thats all.....

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Tai Chi (or Taiji), it is a common misconception that it is a great art for 'old people' or people who have retired from some art that is known to be more strenuous (i.e. perhaps Muay Thai, boxing, etc.). Taiji is an art that takes a long long long time to master and the benefits are not as apparent or superficial as most other arts, but perhaps they are more worthwhile depending on personal opinion. Just as with any other art, the younger you start taiji the better (simply because you have more time left in life to continue to learn, refine, and perfect what you have taken in).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certain martial art styles are better suited for "older" students although I do find that allowances are made even in these styles for a variety of reasons... i.e. poor flexibility, problem in jumping, poor endurance/cardio levels, forms---um, um, um, oh! forgetfulness too. I mean some things can be worked on while others are roadblocks caused by age or physical limitations. Now does this warrant an individual to be paid less attention to or more attention to ... or to mainstream them into the rest of the class. Should there be a "senior" class (much in the same way there is a "little dragons" type class for the 4,5,6 yr olds. I don't think the numbers of older students warrant this course of action yet although the trend has been starting martial arts at an "older" age (especially now with 9/11 and everyone's desire to know selfdefense because of it).

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-03-11 10:25 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seperate senior class? Well in some places there are enough people in older age ranges to support a class. There are some schools currently working on adjusting cirruculums to meet the needs of those who wish to continue to train as they age.

I do think as the population of those currently training ages there will be more such programs. And hopefully more people beginning to train at an older age.

Since this is a judo/ju jitsu grappling area, does anyone think that the grappling styles could succesfully adapt itself to accomadate an ageing population?

Ryukyu1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly some schools don't have enough members to support a seperate junior and senior class. In this case the do need to adjust the curriculum or how the class is give in order to cater for all students. I have noticed that some older people who who like to join a MA club are some times put off by the fact that they would be training with younger and fitter individuals and may be a minority. One must never forget we will all get old someday and gradually will suffer different pains that we take longer to recover from.

[ This Message was edited by: Ryukyu1 on 2002-03-13 08:37 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: