Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could talk to the instructors, if that really bothers you. But in the end, I think its your choice to decide which you want to do and which you don't. I think instructors get possessive of their students, and instead of a "cultural" thing, its an ego thing.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree-ego has a lot to do with it. When they feel their position threatened in any way they forbid their students to seek knowledge anywhere but their home dojo-citing loyalty and humility, etc. I'm not saying that students shouldn't have a sense of loyalty to their teachers but it should be earned not demanded or forced.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
I agree-ego has a lot to do with it. When they feel their position threatened in any way they forbid their students to seek knowledge anywhere but their home dojo-citing loyalty and humility, etc. I'm not saying that students shouldn't have a sense of loyalty to their teachers but it should be earned not demanded or forced.

To the bold above...

To me that's a big red flag; time to seek another instructor/style/etc.

Solid post Heidi!!

I remember how aggravated my Dai-Soke was with me when I was a JBB and I wanted to take TKD. He kept asking me..."Why?" My answer was simple..."TKD has effective kicking and Shindokan doesn't kick effectively above the waist". He growled at first, but when he heard my reasons, he allowed me to learn TKD, and he was very supportive when he saw the results and how it benefited me as to the teachings of Shindokan. Remember, this was back in the early 1970's; styles/instructors were quite guarded about their methodologies/ideologies back then, more so then they are now.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I took up TKD for the same reasons...and I fell in love with it! My sensei however did not bat an eye when I decided to do it-he was all for the sharing of knowledge among martial artists of all styles.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
yamesu wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:
Well if the Karate place is Kyokushin, PLEASE you'll enjoy it so much. and it WILL fit well with your boxing

When the Instructor asks you if you've done anything before, just let them know but be humble with your response.

Welcome to Knockdown Karate

Solid - three words = George St Pierre

Isnt he a Wrestler?

Anyway, thank you so much guys for the reply, what I am going to do is, talk to the karate instructor to see what kind of instructor he is, idealy, I am not going to change my boxing stance, the chi kung/kung fu is more so a conditioning regimen then an actual combat delivery system like a muay thai/boxing.

I am a bliever in specializing in a martial arts, mine is boxing and at the end of the day, no matter which martial art I learn on the side, it has to be delivered within my boxing mechanic.

So far I have learned through kung fu that, lots of boxers/combat fighters get injured because they have strong fast twitch muscles but weak hand conditioning that is unable to protect them from there own fast twitch muscles they gain through athletic training, ofcourse they neglect the traditional martial arts hand conditioning.

With me, I have had crappy punching power, so the iron palm that I learned has helped my hands feeling less brittle after a spar or any friction from hitting the bag.

But most importantly my accuracy has increased through the kung fu training due to one legged squats,performing various postures thats helping my form and body mechanics perform a more stable boxing techniques.

Perhaps Im just getting greedy here, I think I should just stick with kungfu and the days that there are no kung fu I can just drill the hell out the forms,iron palms and other excercises from strong man world...

He has been training Kyokushin since age 7.
Later took up Wrestling and BJJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: