Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shujika
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: RyuTe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: (pre)Encounter plan? Reply with quote

“Milking” off another post LOL (Would you help if someone needed it) I noticed most (including myself) prefaced their response with “if I were alone” or “after being sure my family were safe” I began to wonder, How many of you have “discussed”, or “preplanned” for an “unavoidable” encounter with an aggressor w/ loved ones being present?
For myself, my wife knows to “take the family” or anyone we're with and “get clear” (and away if necessary) then observe, if practical (for possible discussions w/L.E. Afterward and/or take ME to the hospital if necessary, LOL) The “key” point being an“unavoidable” situation....

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've discussed it before and I occassionally bring it up to reminder her about what to do.

Most of my instructions are for the wife to get the kids and leave the area a quickly a possibly if I am unable to take them myself. She's then to call the police as soon as she's in a secure position. She knows that if I tell her to go there's to be no questions and she should just listen and do it (this is about the only time this will ever happen ). Of couse the instructions in such a situation could easily vary based on what is happening and what the tactical evaluation of the scene turns out to be.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't discussed this a lot, but my wife is fairly independent, anyways, and is pretty good about keeping the kids safe (motherly instinct and all). I do think that this is something that I would like to address in class time, if I get the chance, as well.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys carry off duty or not out there or not bushio-man, but in addition to general discussions of becoming involved with an altercation you may also want to consider talking with her about what to do if you have to deploy an off-duty weapon.

Ususally, unless you're wife is really invovlved with that side of your life, she probibly hasn't even thought twice about it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't carry off-duty, or on right now. I am still working on that end...

However, I don't know what the regs are for me to carry off-duty, either. I may look into that.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my wife would clear her and my son from danger. Also she knows there's a possiblity of a weapon being on my person. But she knows I can handle myself in most situations and hopefully have thesmarts of when to fight and whento run. At our dojo we have discussed this type of unavoidable fight type situation. We've thought of sprinting a quarter mille and if they still want to fight they have the disadvantage because they're tired when the fight starts.
I would have to see the situation unfolding to make a clear desicion. There are many factors that would be involedin my thought process.

FitOrDie!
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can't really answer that until you're there. Generally, I will be prepared with a .45 on my person to use how I feel necessary. Always remember that people have friends, and you don't know who they are or where they are... or what they're hiding in their pockets.

Hopefully I won't have to though. It's not that I'm opposed to shooting a gang member assaulting someone or something, in a way it's kind of a public service... but what a hassle after the fact!

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.
-Sun Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: