Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
baronbvp wrote:
I've noticed it can be a little difficult to concentrate on the conversation when you are standing passively coiled like a spring, waiting for a sudden strike.

Heh, good point. Kind of takes the "passive" out of the stance, doesn't it?

Another option along with the passive stance would be to back up, if you have room.

Has i mentioned previously, its not a "stance" in the traditional sense of the word. Meaning its not static, or fixed. Standing still infront of the aggressor with your hands up is a rather poor execution of the passive stance. (although sometimes you have no other option if your pinned to a wall etc)

Understanding the dynamics of violence will give you alot of information about what is and isnt applicable. The passive stance is most often used in conjuction with slow slightly rearward, circling footwork. Circling to whatever side will avoid their power side (if you have the opertunity to see which one that is). How often do you think someone with aggressive intent towards you will stand still talking to you at a certain distance? They might if you allow it, but by moving backwards yourself, they have 2 choices:

1. leave you alone. or. 2. Keep moving forward to pester/attack you.

If they are moving forward then obviously your de escalation tactics arnt working for you at this point, so either you start saying things that help the situation, or expect to be attacked. This is when the passive "stance" is used at its best.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, cross. That makes pretty good sense.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
Has i mentioned previously, its not a "stance" in the traditional sense of the word. Meaning its not static, or fixed. Standing still infront of the aggressor with your hands up is a rather poor execution of the passive stance. (although sometimes you have no other option if your pinned to a wall etc)

Understanding the dynamics of violence will give you alot of information about what is and isnt applicable. The passive stance is most often used in conjuction with slow slightly rearward, circling footwork. Circling to whatever side will avoid their power side (if you have the opertunity to see which one that is). How often do you think someone with aggressive intent towards you will stand still talking to you at a certain distance? They might if you allow it, but by moving backwards yourself, they have 2 choices:

1. leave you alone. or. 2. Keep moving forward to pester/attack you.

If they are moving forward then obviously your de escalation tactics arnt working for you at this point, so either you start saying things that help the situation, or expect to be attacked. This is when the passive "stance" is used at its best.

Yep, good point. I think we both realize that but got sidetracked with details. The times I have used this there were people, cars, tables/chairs around, etc, so that sort of drove my positioning.

Another factor I've seen is some people get even more irritated or agitated when they feel you are trying to calm them down, especially if there's an audience. That's usually a sign it's time to get more help.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something we drill a lot, so I'll contribute a bit of that...

The pre-fight stance I've been taught is to have the hands slightly out, palms pointed down, strong side almost imperceptively back. Likewise, feet are basically in a normal everyday non-fighting stance, strong side almost imperceptively back. This means that you can easily move into your "question" stance, or your fighting stance, if the opponent kicks things off unexpectedly early. Basically, pre-fight is all about the sell, selling the idea that you are no threat and aren't interested in fighting.

The "question" stance, I should probably also mention, when asking your engaging question, your feet should almost be in a fighting stance, not as long nor wide, and the knees shouldn't be perceptively bent. Your jab hand is probably touching or almost touching your attacker since they've triggered your question by hitting your fence, and this is good for orienting yourself distance-wise. Your strong hand is back and your weight is back, loaded for a strong initial shot (but don't clench the fist!). Your palms are up and shoulders shrugging in the classic "I dunno!" pose, which also can protect your chin slightly in the event that your opponent kicks off in the middle of your question, though you shouldn't tuck the chin in yet.

Then, fire your shot and get ready to fight!

* Fence
* Question
* GO!

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I feel that things might get out of hand, I stand on one leg and strike the 'Karate Kid' stance while letting out a high pitch yell.

~Theodore Roosevelt

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
When I feel that things might get out of hand, I stand on one leg and strike the 'Karate Kid' stance while letting out a high pitch yell.

I make my eyes huge and wild, then go psycho-John-Cusack on the guy. (Think Grosse Point Blank or The Sure Thing.)

gzk, great post. Not many people train that stuff. How else do you guys train for real situations?

learning kempo-karate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Universal Kempo-Karate, Shotokan Karate, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, The right posturing will also help you when you go to court. Also by saying I do not want to fight..out loud for others to hear...will help you in court too (make sure you make some kind of eye contact with the witness standing nearby too).

When someone wants to fight you and you have a passive stands...it is you, who are more prepare..it does not let the other person know you are ready.

Great topic.......and info's here........Aloha

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning kempo-karate wrote:
Hello, The right posturing will also help you when you go to court. Also by saying I do not want to fight..out loud for others to hear...will help you in court too (make sure you make some kind of eye contact with the witness standing nearby too).

When someone wants to fight you and you have a passive stands...it is you, who are more prepare..it does not let the other person know you are ready.

Great topic.......and info's here........Aloha

That's right, before you ask the question, you should back away and give them the opportunity to disengage, too.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronbvp wrote:

gzk, great post. Not many people train that stuff. How else do you guys train for real situations?

Thanks

A couple of the drills we do are:

* Partner stands a few metres away holding a kickshield to cover their torso, and aggresively advances on you. When you see them coming, you move into pre-fight stance. When they move within range, front-kick them, jump back well out of range and use a verbal fence - pointing and shouting at them to back off, looking as psycho as possible - to cause adrenal-dump and allow them to disengage.

* Partner starts at close range, wearing Thai pads on each forearm and advances on you, speaking aggressively, using "fightin' words". You maintain a fence with your pre-fight stance and back away, attempting verbal de-escalation. If they persist, ask your engaging question and strike hard at one or more of the Thai pads. The strike can be anything, but we were given the guideline of using a right cross for relatively slowly advancing attackers, and a right elbow for quickly advancing attackers.

We do a few others to deal with when someone is ground-and-pounding you, or throwing a haymaker at you.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all train this way. Your training would make great material for an article.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: