Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Belasko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon do, some Judo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Preparation for advanced tests? Reply with quote

I recently learned that I am to be tested for 3rd Dan in May. This gives me plenty of time to practice and put in some extra time. The basic going through forms, self defense tactics, etc. more often I know and plan to do. What I would like to hear is some other ideas or ways people prep before a big test that will cover the above plus 3:1 sparring, free sparring, 1 and 3 step, board breaking and random form demonstrations (a form name given to a testee but not until they have to perform it). Specifically when at home or other places outside of class.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested for 1st gup/kyu. But I may be of some help.

I know you said you didn't want to hear going through your curriculum. But I did it religiously, everyday, leading up to the test. I did a bit of conditioning for breaking. If I had trouple with a technique, I got help from anyone I could to correct it quick. And worked on it till I got it down. Then worked on it some more.

As far as sparring goes, hit the heavy bag, do cardio, run ... whatever you can do to build up your "wind" and technique.

When you work on forms, mix them up. Don't do them in order. Have someone call out the names of the forms randomly then perform them in different directions (not just the way you do them in class). Blindfolded is even better.

I hope I helped some.

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 on one huh? What are you allowed to do? Can you grab, throw, just strike? Can you get in some extra practice on that part of the test? I think the free fighting portion of the test wont be a problem for you if you've been sparring often as part of your training IMO.

As for the forms portion I agree with laurie. Pull random forms out of a hat and do them while someone watches. Do this as often as you can.

When at home or other places try doing the form, 1 step, or three step over and over in your mind. Proper visualization will make the real thing that much easier.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your allowed to sweep, get a partner and practice that so when you have one person coming at you, you can sweep them and cause more time for you to prepare for the other two

JDZNate
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Brazilian jiu jitsu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Good luck.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you already know your stuff otherwise you would not be allowed to test. I am not suggesting doing nothing though. The other suggestions given are very good. Just remember you already know the stuff...you just have to show your instructors that you know it. The very best of luck to you

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice EVERYTHING!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: