Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compted many years nationally in forms so I have a bit to contribute here. First off make sure you get a good night sleep, eat a good strong breakfast and wake up with the determination in you mind you are going to perform 120% to your potential. The minute you wake up, you need to focus on your performance. Psyche yourself up as much as possible. Don't go to the torn. and watch other competitors flying around and flipping etc. This will only intimidate you. If you have some great techniques practice them frequently before your division to prepare you and to psych your competitor out a bit.

FOCUS is the main ingredient. The second you bow into that ring you need to make it known that ring belongs to you. Don't be overly ****y or arrogant but be firm and decisive. The way you walk is important (keep your head up) eye contact during into etc.

Then step back focus AGAIN get into the perfect mind frame where only your form matters and when you are 120% ready take charge....

Good Luck,
Pete

p.s. EXPLOSIVE POWER IS KEY!!!!
Good stances, tight fist, fingers tight in knife hand blocks etc., focused energy and strong kicks

MonkeyNinja
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post was not really meant for me. BUT, I really greatly appreciate all the input. I have a weapons form to do tomorrow,and pointsparring up in Denver. I was soooo nervous about i didnt go to the music gig last night. I was too afraid that i goofed there that i would goof up tomorrow.

MonkeyNinja

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

three60roundhouse had posted the web site (ITU hyung versions) in order to help me out with Kwang Gae (which I was going to perform at tournament). However, I did not participate (I had explained why somewhere in the forum). But anyway this particular tourn was more "sport" TKD in the manner of sparring and also hyungs (Taegeuks)... although they had advertised as an "open" tournament. Our particular hyungs were not "recognized" in the forms division and if performed were not to be scored in the same way. (a straight "5" to be given regardless of performance)
From what participants/viewers of the tourn told me ... for the most part the forms that were performed were boring, sloppy and with no regards to fluidity, exemplifying excellant technique at the same time.
Our school is presently working on "tweeking" our forms (much like those shown on the videos on the ITU site) Although 360 seems to think they are too slow and "breathy" ... I think they are excellant examples of the way they should be performed .... especially at tournament!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-17 07:37 ]

tsdstud
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathe. Usually before tourneys I go around and and watch my team mates and try to help them all out. See what they're doing wrong and everything. Then with a little less than an hour left I kind of go off on my own and don't talk to anyone. Put my headphones on with "motivational music" and get pumped.

-Spring Break '04
"Life begins at 130 mph".

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When competing in forms you need to psyche yourself up from the second you wake in the morning. When you enter that ring make it known that you own it. Remember you are doing a performance so you need to make it as realistic as possible. Being timid or shy or unsure of yourself will guarantee a loss. If you are confident and show that you own the ring your chances of winning will be that much better.

Pete

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really do need to get a real good night's sleep to give 110%. Think about what makes a form exciting to watch. No one wants to watch a form that resembles T'ai Chi!
One thing I keep hearing from judges is that they want you to scare them! I have heard that if two competitors are equal the edge goes to the one who seems more dangerous.
Heh heh, take it for what it's worth...Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: Ti-Kwon-Leap on 2002-05-17 22:24 ]

crazydee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

preparing for the big day. well, of course all the usual training. if you are doing kata you should practice it so much that you can do it in your sleep perfectly. but thats enough about the training part. I think the mental part is the killer. Nothing can stop the nervousness. Get a good nites sleep, SUPER important. Eat a good breakfast, no greasy fatty crap like bacon and sausages. Fruits and toast, is good. Make sure you're wide awake. Warm up good before you compete. Go through your routine again but do not wear yourself out. Take some deep breaths. Who knows, maybe when you walk into that ring and everyone is staring at you you'll actually like it and show everyone you are the man. Some people are just like that, once they get into the ring, its a different mind set. I think most kata champions, they love to get in the ring because its a time where they can show everyone how good they are. But, if this doesnt happen for you try clearing your mind of all the crowd, the judges, everything and just focus on your routine as if you were the only one there. Just remember to come back to reality when you are done and it'll be all good. And don't worry, the more you do it the easier it'll be.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withers M.A.A., well said All of here thank you
Confidence is important. One must show this, even though inside it's a "storm". Feeling nervous a little is OK. BUT don't let nervousness get you. I've seen good karatekas fail just because they were "desperate". Sometimes nervousness turns into panic and then it's all lost. Think you've worked hard, you are doing OK ... and it's gonna be fine.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: