Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Sunday, I was rlling with my Sensei, a 56 year old guy who looks like he is made out of leather. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I had him in a zipper choke while in his guard and had defeated his arm bar and sweep attempts. Suddenly, he reach up and with one finger pressing behind each of my ears, he made my arms go numb. The next thing I know, I'm on the bottom and he is in the mount position, putting an armbar on me.

Pressure point fever. Catch it.

Osu

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea.. some people do seem to be much more positive aabout the use of pressure points after they have experienced them being used effectively.

onesimusTKD
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you can learn ANY, do so! They are EFFECTIVE...I find that whatever you can learn will make your training better!

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pressure points are very effective but they all don't work against everyone...i know of a few people who are "dead from the neck up" as one of my instructors liked to say... the mandibular angle (ppt behind the jawbone below the ear.) and the hypoglossal (under the jaw near the chin.) had no effect whatsoever no matter how hard they were pressed. some people are just immune to different pressure points. weird huh?

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a lot more to pressure points then just press points. They fall into categories of rub points, strike points and press points. Used in COMBINATION they produce varying effects on different people.

I've seen people knocked out with what i can only describe as 3 flicks. But accuracy and knowlege is the key and as said not every ones the same. This accuracy is hard to achieve in a brall, clinch or real fight and generally take some prodding about.

Bretty

Arts_not_Brutality
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striking_Cobra,

You're right on with the 'dead from the neck up' Besides those curtain ppl who for some reason are unaffected, pressure points are awesome! I've taken classes with my police explorer post, and used them in grappling. They work!

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

striking_cobra & Arts_not_Brutality,

That's why you need to learn all 300+ pressure points, because no one is impervious to very many.

Bretty101 is also right. Pressing at a certain angle with a certain pressure will work on some, while others require much less pressure to activate. Too much pressure, in some cases, negates to effectiveness. This part of training is truely an Art.

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to start...

Okay, first off, pressure points are very hard to do. Very, very hard. You can strike the same spot twice and get different reactions, because nerve clusters and such shift beneath the skin. You can't simply look at a diagram, poke someone, and knock them out. After years, sometimes decades of practice, you get a feel for the human body, where the nerves are, how to strike around tendons, ligaments, gaps in between muscle, etc. It's pretty complicated. If anyone's seriously interested, I can get into detail about how the pressure points work, the Five Elements, the infamous 'death touch' (yes, it's real, but not the way they show it), and how it all relates to human anotomy and physiology. That is, if anyone's interested. otherwise, it's an awful lot of writing.

L8erz.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Dim Mak just any single killing technique, so breaking the neck would be a part of it, or a sharp knife finger thrust to the windpipe?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two categories of Dim Mak, vital points and pressure points. Vital points are strikes to any general weak point, such as a punch to the throat or solar plexus. Pressure points are something else altogether. Simply put, they are areas where you can apply pressure to nerves near the skin, resulting in stimulated pain. It creates a false signal to the brain, the brain thinks an invading organism is giving the signal, and it gives out an alert. The result is pain. Of course, it's not an invading organism, it's just a glitch of sorts in the nervous system, but you're manipulating the brain into causing panic. There are 360 pressure points on the human body, 60 to each of five meridians, wood, fire, earth, metal, and water (liver, heart, spleen, lung, and kidney). Using the pentagram, you can use these rows of pressure points to heal (accupuncture) or cause pain (Dim Mak). Although any pressure point hit hard enough and at the proper angle will result in knockout, here's the proper medical technique:

1 point stimulated in any given element meridian:

intense pain in local region (strike to temple, result: headache)

2 points:

intense pain between points (strike to opposite sides of ribs, result: intense heart pain/difficulty breathing)

3 points:

loss of voluntary muscle activity in the region (strike to wrist, elbow, and shoulder, result: arm paralysis)

4 points:

knockout, possible coma

5 points stimulated in any order, along any meridian:

Instant death

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: