Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Preventing Coronavirus Spread at Martial Arts Schools Reply with quote

Hey all,

What steps are you taking in your schools to prevent the spread of COVID-19? I think it would be great to share and learn from one another at what is a very difficult time and may stay that way for a while.

Obviously, it is most difficult for certain groups that are more at-risk (older adults and immunocompromised individuals). But it'll also be difficult financially for small businesses, which is what nearly all martial arts schools are.

Stay safe and healthy.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, Patrick.

For the time being, I've suspended ALL classes until April 6, 2020. At which time, we'll revisit, and address, the COVID-19 pandemic issue at that time as to what our next decision might or might not be. If be it, we'll remain closed until further notice, however long that might be.

I've already contacted both my bank, as well as the SBA to inquire our options across the board. I've a large Student Body, and support pool, and they're all extremely appreciative of how we've swiftly, and professionally, moved in their behalf.

Karate...Shindokan...Martial Arts...whatever; they're just a thing, nothing more. If God willing, Karate...Shindokan...Martial Arts...whatever; they'll still be there, but only when the time is appropriate, not any time sooner!!

For me, it's ALWAYS been human lives before money!!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're closed entirely. In fact, the entire youth center we operate out of is closed until further notice. At this point I think it's irresponsible for anything non-essential to remain open.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're closed up, too.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still operating as per usual, as the prevalence rate of the disease here in Australia is a lot lot than in the US.

Although we are strictly following the advice of the Health Department. If we get told to close we will, but otherwise if we have anyone suspected of having COVID-19 then we'll shut and have a super stringent clean

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of yesterday, I decided to remain closed until the end of April, more of a precaution, than anything else. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was operating (now shut!) I was instigating hand washing at the start for everyone followed by anti-bac gel.

Lesson would be non contact as much as possible but if we did pad drills everyone got their own personal pad to hold, no sharing, which was then disinfected between classes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
When I was operating (now shut!) I was instigating hand washing at the start for everyone followed by anti-bac gel.

Lesson would be non contact as much as possible but if we did pad drills everyone got their own personal pad to hold, no sharing, which was then disinfected between classes.

That's the responsible thing to do in the proactive ways to stave off the Covid-19.

We've always done a complete clean-up at the opening of the dojo, in between classes, and at the closing of the dojo with every student participating in the cleaning/disinfecting of the dojo.

Once we reopen, we'll also adopt a complete cleaning/disinfecting of all common surfaces, like the door handles and light switches and things of that nature. Sure, we did that before, but not in the scope it will be at our reopen and beyond.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Once we reopen, we'll also adopt a complete cleaning/disinfecting of all common surfaces, like the door handles and light switches and things of that nature. Sure, we did that before, but not in the scope it will be at our reopen and beyond.

I think it's good to start thinking of changes that will have to be made when things reopen. This threat isn't going to go away. Right now we're trying to slow the initial hump, but if we do successfully slow things down, that means we're going to need to remain vigilant for months to come to avoid a second wave.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Bob, Devin, Brian, Liam, and Danielle. I appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: