Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Gis are pre-shrunk , but they should mention this when ordering, if the Customer service rep know their stuff.
Upon recommendation of a KF regular, I recently ordered my first new higher end gi, A Ronin gi, now with my dimensions I straddle 2 sizes, the rep advised me to go with the bigger size, due to shrinkage. After several washes the pants shrunk 3 inches in length and the jacket fits much better than when I first tried them on. So absolutely imperative that you know your own dimensions and whether or not the gi is pre-shrunk or not.
The gi now fits me very well BTW. Very happy!

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Some Gis are pre-shrunk , but they should mention this when ordering, if the Customer service rep know their stuff.
Upon recommendation of a KF regular, I recently ordered my first new higher end gi, A Ronin gi, now with my dimensions I straddle 2 sizes, the rep advised me to go with the bigger size, due to shrinkage. After several washes the pants shrunk 3 inches in length and the jacket fits much better than when I first tried them on. So absolutely imperative that you know your own dimensions and whether or not the gi is pre-shrunk or not.

Wish I had that experience, because every time I order one size larger for shrinkage, it never shrinks enough. 2 inches lengthwise seems to be the magic number for me. After that, it doesn't shrink anymore.

I had someone in my dojo have the same experience as I; he ordered a Shureido gi a size larger than normal, desperately tried to shrink it, couldn't accomplish it. He ended up selling it to someone, just as I had to do.

Maybe gi's do shrink significantly over time, but I really don't want to wear a gi that's slightly too big for a couple years. Besides, at that point, the gi will start to show its age.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling_Mudansha wrote:

Wish I had that experience, because every time I order one size larger for shrinkage, it never shrinks enough. 2 inches lengthwise seems to be the magic number for me. After that, it doesn't shrink anymore.

I had someone in my dojo have the same experience as I; he ordered a Shureido gi a size larger than normal, desperately tried to shrink it, couldn't accomplish it. He ended up selling it to someone, just as I had to do.

Maybe gi's do shrink significantly over time, but I really don't want to wear a gi that's slightly too big for a couple years. Besides, at that point, the gi will start to show its age.

Did you wash in hot water and dry in the dryer?

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:

Did you wash in hot water and dry in the dryer?

I did; multiple washes in hot water with the dryer on high. I needed the jacket to shrink significantly in all directions but couldn't accomplish it.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:

Thats why when I order a Gi I never expect it to Shrink, but will oder up a few sizes due to being heavier set requiring more room.

So I just get it taken up to allow me to wear it, but will normally wash it a few times to see what happens prior to the adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: