Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

martialartist1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: no style as style

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"i think by yelling in occasion here and there would work out fine but if it is constant yelling abuse it wont work that way .. sometimes i as a assitant intructor i " say " " do u wanna do the exercise or u wanna get out of the class " i dont think its harsh but i kno they wont get out of the class instead they will be willing to do the exercise . but i was taught like that too . yelling and here and there .. it does get annoying but it gets the job done .after the class my intructor would become my close friend when we enter the dojo i call it the " warzone" he enters to the state of a sergent . he jokes around here and there fair enough"

i think non-stop yelling shouldnt be done, as it gets on their nerves and might make them worse. though you can shout, but not keep on shouting. i think its harsh yelling too much. they will only be willing to the work, if they are interested.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how this person became an instructor without this problem being known from jump. The head instructor should already know his personality if he's teaching students in his school. He should handle this situation. I'm still not quite sure how it came to this pass.

Cyberclown
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo/hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: yelling at children Reply with quote

Myself, I NEVER raise my voice to ANY student. It is simply not my approach.

Teaching the martial arts is about motivation. An instructor must motivate a student in order for the student to learn.

Motivating students should be foremost in an instructor's talents. If an instructor cannot motivate, the students will not learn.

I have found that in order for criticism to be effective, that first an instructor must win the student (especially children) over. Once a student is won over, a disapproving look usually will suffice.

Discipline is a must, but I find it is far better to get a student to want to follow the rules, as opposed to being forced to.

I wrote a small book for my assistant instructors. I made them read it and take a test. I also evaluate them on a weekly basis. I don't pull punches with them either. If I think they are too "drill sergeant" like to the kids I will order them to find a way to solve a situation without yelling, criticizing or doling out push-ups etc. I tell them to take it as a challenge.

Martial arts is not boot camp. Communication is an art. A skill that most people THINK they posess when in reality few do.

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified
AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)
USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)
"One of a kind" instructor...*g*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: