Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee, I can't do any of those exercises due to the bad knee pains I get from that type of exercise. I am however going to start with slowly raising and lowering the leg, extending and holding it in the air etc. etc. to help in what ways I can

Oh yes, and practicing every move I know 100 times each day before my grading in 8 days time I hope will help as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT DO I KNOW, IM ONLY 15!!!

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantasmic, sorry?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do not do very high sice kicks . the way i pratice a side kick is the way i was taught it which is to the knee.the best way tat i practice it is standing in yoi (normal ready position) bringning knee up high then rotating the hips with the kick out at a 45 degree angle . this to me is the most effective kick you can feel the devestiating power in it . Yes the supporting foot will turn. I study a traditional style and we do not have any kata hta has a kick past the belt hight.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read the other posts sorry, don'tnhave time...

Side Kick:

Rotate so the supporting heel is facing the way u want to kick, thus the supposrting toes are facing the other way. Lift your kicking knee up in a vertical manner (remember the higher the knee the higher the kick), extend the side (thrust or snap) kick with a sort of push from the hips...

Later,
Angus

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, everybody is in agreement here that the side kick derives its power from a hip thrust.
The way to ensure you can do a side kick properly is to use a heavy kicking bag. (When you sidekick a bag there are 2 possible good outcomes... one being that when the bag goes flying to the ceiling which is the minimal damage you can do by pushing your opponent to the ground. The superior way is to cause the target area of your bag to bounce back causing the bottom of the bag to lift up which comes when you do the sidekick with a decent snap/hip thrust/retraction of leg. The bag does not go flying up because you
have sent your energy horizontally which is the effect you should have on an opponent. By doing it in this way they will be winded and be knocked to the ground, as opposed to flying back and getting up.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, when i first started TKD I could only keep my leg up for about 5 seconds or so..

If you go home and work on raising your legs and doing the basic snap kick every day in sets your leg muscles will gradually get stronger and more astute (<-- !?!?!) to keeping your leg up in the air for kicks.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: