Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi y'all, I figured I could do with some input from everybody here.

When performing a standard Side Kick, my supporting foot will turn 90 degrees so its facing outwards, yet as I extend my knee it tends to slip out to more of a 135 degree angle, which causes a slight momentary lapse of balance and makes withdrawing the extended leg more difficult.

I was just wondering if there were any techniques to help with this, or if I should just kuckle down and keep practicing, or if this is ment to happen and is something we just get used to... heck, I've even heard you're supposed to turn your supporting foot 180 degrees.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been taught to fully rotate the supporting foot 180 degrees regardless of the style, although it could be different in some styles that I have not been exposed to. Although this is just me, I pivot the supporting foot 180 degrees while chambering/cocking the kicking knee as high and as close to my opposite shoulder as possible, and then I extend. I have read that you should focus on leading the kick with the knee as a guide instead of the foot. I think that a full 180 degree pivot of the supporting foot is necessary for full correct extension and prevention of inflammation of the hip because it fully opens up your hips and pelvis. My main practice lies in taekwondo and wushu, so many other people may have different opinions or takes on this. On a side note, even though most people chamber their kicking leg so that the leg still remains perpendicular to the floor, I usually try to make my leg as parallel to the floor as possible while trying to touch my kicking knee with the opposite shoulder. I guess there is no proper way to do every single martial arts technique (excluding the extreme basic mechanics), as long as you are not getting hurt and it fits your body the most. We are not robots meant to work the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a technical point of view the reason you are made to turn your foot is because it allows the hip to come into play to allow a great deal of power in the kick.

There are two ways of doing the side kick. Either a snap kick or thrust kick. The snap kick in many schools allows little hip movement and the emphasis is on speed. The thrust kick uses the hip and is slower but more powerful.

If you know these two kicks, try this. First snap your kick out with speed as you do with the snap kick, and just before the technique is completed suddenly turn and thrust your hips into it. This way you have a snap-thrust kick.

Its not easy to do and takes years to get right. Its also not traditional and I never do it in the Dojo, unless sparring.

I would suggest you practise your side kicks at least 200 times a day on each leg, but aim for 1000. That should sort your problem out eventually.

Also practise the kick slowly. Break it down into components. Knee lift, put the leg out, turn the hip, bring the leg back to knee lift position and return to floor. Over and over and over. Pratise it holding onto something (in the beginning if need be) and learn to co-ordinate your body movements.

The higher you left the knee in this kick the better off you will be. In our school, we train extremely hard, but even in Japan the side kick is taught as a "sandan technique". In other words your body will not have the capability of using this technique properly until at least 3rd Dan. Despite this all grades even beginners practise hard on it.

Also use weights in performing the movement. You need to get at those muscles around the hip joints.

Also stand next to a bed or chair and kick over it. This will ensure good knee lift.

Remember their are some Karate-Ka that can drop a 2 inch board from head height and as the board drops to be able to break the board with a side kick before the board hits the ground. Some people cant even do this with a punch let alone a kick. Great power can be had from this technique with years of intense training

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some awesome advice, man...

i look forward to reading more of your posts... you sound very knowledgeable and experienced in the martial art....

-Gor

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankyou very much

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Gumby and AnonymousOne, I am amazed at the input from you I have learnt a lot, thank you very much.

This is just another testiment to the quality of the boards here

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that when your kicking knee is up and your other foot is about ready to get up on the ball of foot position that you should kick out and turn your supporting foot the opposite direction of the kick. This prevents you from falling over and jumping. When you get it down in a fluid motion then your should be able to add power and not fall over. Side Kicks are very difficult, hardly anyone can do them correctly.

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they have given ggod help that I have used to my benefit.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet... before you do anything condition your legs. Do the leg press, squats, and run. Do whatever it takes to condition your legs. Your legs carry you and determine how well you will do in Martial Arts. It all starts with your determination and able will to train.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, AO. I have found that a little twist at the end will add much power to the side-kick. I practice kicking the air all the time in class. It wasn't until I got a heavy bag that I found out the twist at the end will add power. "To develope power, you have to train punching or kicking a heavy bag. To be a good fighter, you have to sparr. To be the greatest, you have to practice."

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: