Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Hereandtao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Problems with dojang Reply with quote

I am a guy who loves martial arts, but lately I have been having some problems with my school. I knew from the beginning that I needed to do a lot of teaching, but as a higher belt, I feel that I have been asked to do too much teaching, and almost no learning. I am now teaching during every class, which doesn't leave much time for me. I love the sport, but I am getting frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Ultimately, you need to be happy with what you're doing. If a school isn't working out, then maybe you'll need to move on and find something else.

Our school puts a focus on teaching once you reach first dan, and the second dan testing grades partially on a teaching demonstration. It sounds like your school might be very much the same. I'm personally looking forward to the privilege of teaching others! But I do know that teaching isn't for everyone.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Hereandtao
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm actually not even close to 1st dan yet, and I feel that I still have so much to learn myself.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might suggest something. Have a sit down conversations with your CI if you really believe that you're doing much more teaching than learning. Be respectful in your request to sit down in the quite of the office, and remain that consummate student/instructor in discussion the thing(s) that you're genuinely concerned with.

How many classes, and days do you teach in a 7 day period??

How many classes, and days do you attend class in a 7 day period??

Ratios of students that are also instructors, I believe that the ratio, in a 7 day period, should be, imho, 3 to 2: 3 days being that student, and 2 days being that instructor. This will leave 1 extra day to train at home, and 1 day to kick your feet up to relax, and/or spend more time with the family.

First, speak with your CI regarding your concerns!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
If I might suggest something. Have a sit down conversations with your CI if you really believe that you're doing much more teaching than learning. Be respectful in your request to sit down in the quite of the office, and remain that consummate student/instructor in discussion the thing(s) that you're genuinely concerned with.

Ratios of students that are also instructors, I believe that the ratio, in a 7 day period, should be, imho, 3 to 2: 3 days being that student, and 2 days being that instructor. This will leave 1 extra day to train at home, and 1 day to kick your feet up to relax, and/or spend more time with the family.

Very solid, very wise advice, sir!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Very solid, very wise advice, sir!
I agree as well. It is true that in most Martial Arts that teaching becomes a responsibility as one gets higher in rank, but it usually isn't until the colored belt ranks or 1st degree black belt.

Talk with the instructor, like mentioned above, and see what you can do to get back into a class setting a couple of times per week at least. After all, if you still pay dues, and you have to teach for the CI and get no class time for yourself, that sounds like a ripoff in any language.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're "not even close to 1rst Dan yet", this is a problem with the school's lack of instructors. It used to happen to me as a black belt, too, but one fix for that was to have a separate Black Belt class, where you get to train.
If you're not even a black belt yet you shouldn't be teaching AND paying.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hereandtao wrote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm actually not even close to 1st dan yet, and I feel that I still have so much to learn myself.

I'm not sure how I missed this bit. Yeah, I can see some people who're ranked 3rd-1st geup taking white belts in my class on occasion, or a 1st geup taking an entire class if there's an emergency, but not regular teaching. Something stinks about your situation!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: