Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Progress in new style Reply with quote

After transitioning from TKD to Kyokushin and training for a few years, I've noticed that some techniques that I thought I had a good base in previously now still aren't all that good...

Just wondering if this is typical and/or if others have had the same experience. Can say it's quite frustrating since I spent many years in TKD and I had thought at least something would have transferred to Kyokushin...both styles kick and punch after all...

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much so; when I transitioned from Kenpo to Wado-Ryu I thought I had good foot-work and soon discovered I really did not. Then when I transitioned from Wado-Ryu to Shorin-Ryu I soon discovered I really had no idea how to throw a decent punch.

No indictments against said styles, but yes; every time I try something new it reveals to me holes I have.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started in kick boxing and transitioned into shotokan and found my round kick was crap and my punching lacked any real snap.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKD is a sport and Karate is not. Being talented in TKD may not hold true when switching over to Karate. Both styles attract very different types of people. TKD has no weapon training when Karate does. This difference makes Karate fighters more lower in their stances in general to compensate for weapon techniques. TKD fighters in a Karate dojo will soon realize that take downs are acceptable, but when in a TKD kwon that's not very sporting like behavior.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
TKD is a sport and Karate is not. Being talented in TKD may not hold true when switching over to Karate. Both styles attract very different types of people. TKD has no weapon training when Karate does. This difference makes Karate fighters more lower in their stances in general to compensate for weapon techniques. TKD fighters in a Karate dojo will soon realize that take downs are acceptable, but when in a TKD kwon that's not very sporting like behavior.

Eh, there's a few generalizations that I feel are too... Generalized. Both karate and tkd were created to fight, they were merely adapted to sports as well. In many respects that's a positive thing- the most effective fighting arts are those considered sports.

It may be more appropriate to say the tkd dojo YOU are training out of is more sport, etc. Whether you consider it a "sport" or not it's still a sport of hitting people in the face and that sounds like learning how to fight to me.

Take it for what it's worth- I'm normally a harsh critic of tkd and karate, so even I can see when some things are too generalized.

gunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took TKD many years ago before it was ruined by Sport TKD. I'm now taking Karate and find both styles compliment the other.

TKD has more athletic and powerful kicks. Karate has more hand and grappling techniques. The sparring is very similar except that karate allows hand strikes to the head.

I'm greatful for taking both styles. It's not what you are taught but more about what you can use.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: