Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Propreoceptive Training For Martial Artists Reply with quote

Propreoceptive Exercise & Training For Better Body Control
https://youtu.be/JWp_uCFebk0

JKD
https://youtu.be/nQvO2HJbCuI

Karate
https://youtu.be/gFJQe4TGIuE

Boxing
https://youtu.be/3VVgC0i9djM

TKD
https://youtu.be/ITToAGFYjq4

MMA
https://youtu.be/uSAeFAapxpE

Judo
https://youtu.be/rKgBh9GKGBo

Proprioception is an important part of all martial arts, then why not embrace it and understand the benefits that are truly important factors to make your movements work even better.

Is proprioception training a part of your martial art system or routine?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is proprioception training a part of your martial art system or routine?

Nope, not directly/intentionally, because it's just not.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could start my martial art journey all over again, it would start and finish with proprioception.

As in time, when have spent many decades developing and refining it, would call this PKD

"The Way Of The Proprioceptive Fist"

OK a tad OTT over the top but proprioception has been around for a very long time, it is just that the word is recent terminology.

Proprioceptors in the body help us to stay balanced to prevent falling down and getting injured.

Something that can be enhanced upon in combat sports and martial arts.

Especially when the eyes are closed and other senses take over relaying information to the brain.

In close combat situations, feeling the opponent's intent from touch is possible, giving an extra ordinary sense of being able to perform a technique without looking.

Having a spacial awareness of one's self is an advantage over others, doubly so when Proprioceptive information can be be gained when physically in contact with an opponent.

Having an understanding of proprioception, can be used also in denying tactile information being used against oneself by an opponent.

Touch and speed drills with a partner, helps to improve Proprioceptive responses, such as when to pull, push, brace, yield, shield, pass, block, deflect or attack, or counter attack.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools often don't directly focus on Propioception, but the ones that do have instructors that understand what it is and how to train it often will focus on it.

As an Exercise Scientist, I work quite heavily on this topic with all my clients regardless of age. But I do the same thing with my students at Karate.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
A lot of schools often don't directly focus on Propioception, but the ones that do have instructors that understand what it is and how to train it often will focus on it.

As an Exercise Scientist, I work quite heavily on this topic with all my clients regardless of age. But I do the same thing with my students at Karate.
Happy to hear that proprioception is a part of your interests.

Perhaps you have some useful insights that you would like to share on this subject.

I for one would like to hear about your experiences in using proprioception with karate and clients.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

Happy to hear that proprioception is a part of your interests.

Perhaps you have some useful insights that you would like to share on this subject.

I for one would like to hear about your experiences in using proprioception with karate and clients.

Everything I do for clients has to do with proprioception, as you have to be aware of how you are moving and what the most efficient line of movement is, whilst being safe.

The same goes for not only Karate but any martial art, as how you move and stand has an impact on your balance and stability.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all martial arts training tends to be rather proprioceptive, in nature, because it is all about controlling the body. That said, at least in karate, proprioception can also be used to more quickly identify what the opponent is doing, through contact with them. That's where exercises like kakie come into play, and sparring methods like kakedameshi and randori.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proprioception is great when in contact with the opponent (gaining important intel) and is heavily utilised in Wing Chun, however wondrous it is, there is also a need for many to rely on it too much; which can be dangerous for the user.

Balancing out this aspect of needing touch alone, with striking around those wanting that contact information aspect, can actually blind them, in this regard, by denying them proprioception information.

Combining touch and not touch (leaking through defenses) is the key, as this enables using both sides of this subject more effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: