Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

username115
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how much protein do y'all get in to your diet a day? Have been aiming for about 3/4 g per lb of weight so about 130-150g per day.

Is this about right if I'mlooking to loose weight and put on some muscle?

Am training (kickboxing) 3 times a week, swimming twice and doing light weights....

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that if you eat too much protein it is turned into fat naturally by your body... there are many nutrition books out there you just have to find one and not take someones word for it. For that matter there are many health sites on the internet.

Singularity
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I type this, I just want to let everyone know that this is my personal experience, I don't claim to be a certified fitness instructor or anything like that. I have however a done a level of research in reference to protein, fat, carbohydrates, and overall exercise.

I definately like your exercise routine. Especially the swimming, many people neglect how effective and how total-body swimming is. Also, if you do want to put on larger amounts of muscle, go for heavier weights, focus more on strength building than on fast, toning exercises. If you're like me and just want to put on a little extra muscle but not be bulky, you've got a good routine going. I would suggest yous stick with it and change up your weight routine every now and then.

As for protein, your body can only process a certain amount of protein per hour. I believe it is about 35g at max. Everything else generally goes through your system, I have had the abdominal pains and other less attractive problems to prove it. It is good to eat about your body weight in grams or slightly less protein per day. Just be sure to disperse it all out. Just one thing, in my opinion and in the opinion of many trainers, it's not weight one should worry about losing, it's body fat. Granted losing weight can be a good sign, just be sure you're not depriving yourself beforehand. Also, I have tried to keep a low carbohydrate diet. Your body naturally burns more fat if you avoid carbohydrates. Note that I'm saying to eat no carbohydrates, your body desperately needs them. I just eliminated certain sweets at first, and now I eat about 100g of carbs per day, none after 5:00 p.m. The recommended is actually 300g for a normal person, but don't worry about it as long as you're not totally eliminating them. I hope I helped at all, stay cool.

Dave

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...that was some good advice Singularity.

Actually its between 0.7 and 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. So for me ... 130 lbs. I try to consume about 100 grams a day. Try and get your necessary protein from your diet (meat, fish, eggs and dairy) . For instance: 2 eggs have 12.5 grams of p, 8 oz of skim milk has 8.5 grams of p, 4 oz. of chicken has 26 grams of p.
And if you can't get all of your proein in your diet on certain days or you're a vegetarian, look into protein shakes or bars to supplement ... powders have roughly 23 grams in one scoop. Many bars have protein levels up to 20 grams (read the labels!)
If you are eating enough calories and carbs your dietary protein will be used for muscle. But if you lower your carb intake too much chances are that some of that protein will be converted into fuel, which is a very ineficient use of dietary protein.
Fitness pros eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight due to their serious strength training and extensive amounts of cardio. If you feel you are putting serious demands on your body you may need to consume more protein.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incase you are vege or any other vege's/vegans reading this post, here are some protein sources :

"The foods which commonly supply the most protein in a vegan diet are pulses (peas, beans, lentils, soya products), grains (wheat, oats, rice, barley, buckwheat, millet, pasta, bread), nuts (brazils, hazels, almonds, cashews) and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)."

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2002-01-23 08:33 ]

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a (sea)food diet...

I (see) food and i eat it....

Angus

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I just want to let everyone know that this is my personal experience, I don't claim to be a certified fitness instructor or anything like that"

..... Errrrrrr.... I DO! 'Cos I am

Ahem....

I find that I get the best results from about 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. For me that's about 175g per day. Don't forget though that this is grammes of actual protein, not grammes of meat. For example, 100g of lean Turkey breast contains about 25g Protein. But even with that you'll only actually assimilate about 15g -That's what makes good quality Whey Protein Isolate supplemenst so good - you take a serving that says 25g protein and you'll assimilate about 95-99% of that.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: