Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you hit him first doesn't mean you shouldn't block, a block has other uses as well as security. For one a hard block can open someone up for more strikes. For another if you block then if something goes wrong, or they're not as drunk as they seemed, or they know what they're doing, then at least you've avoided them hitting you.

I also didn't say it would be effective, it would be effecient. It would certainly cause massive damage to the terrorist movement. The fact that it would do the same to an extremely large area is irrelevant, that doesn't make it inneficient, merely stupid.

[ This Message was edited by: ckdstudent on 2002-06-10 18:41 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not reading all I write. Read through to the end. I'm not contradicting you, just giving a different light to view within. Try my example and see the results. You might like it.

A nuclear weapon is still ineffective and inefficient when fighting a small terrorist group. But has nothing to do with a punch defense.

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit him.

diamondick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, Jeet kune do,Tai chi chuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab nipples and twist hard

BizMarkie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just take the hit. oh wait...don't! Hypnotize him and then use a shuriken
to cut up his clothes

larryjf
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Yoshin Ryu Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would probably parry the punch while punching with my other hand at the same time. Also, when i parry i generally lean out of the attacks way.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with martial artist on this one. If someone throws a wide left hook it is a big neon sign saying "STEP IN AND BELT ME WITH A STRAIGHT RIGHT!!!" It is scary how well it works. Throw that right inside their hook nice and straight and you will beat them to the punch. This is where the phrase comes from. Obviously if you are talking about wide right hooks throw a straight left. The quickest distance between two points is a STRAIGHT LINE. Your cross or jab or front kick if you are adept enough and prefer will land first and take the steam out of the punch that is on the way.

If you are punching your hand should coming right back to guard position so the punching arm will block the hook even if your blow doesn't interupt it's motion all together. You can't really throw the right inside his hook and actively block the punch with the same hand unless your hands are faster than Floyd Patterson. If you cross your hand over i.e. left hand covering the right side of your face as you punch with the right, you are leaving yourself open on the side the next blow will most likely be coming from.

If you are kicking, don't drop your hands! The wide punch probably won't land with full power but why take a hit? Besides you should be throwing something behind the kick for insurance. One hit one kill doesn't work that often against drunks and tough guys. Unless your Mas Oyama.

IF and this is a big IF, you SEE the person throwing a wide looping punch, you want to step inside their power whether you choose to block the blow or strike inside it's arc. The reason is that stepping or leaning back puts you at the point of the blows greatest power if your opponent is moving forward which they usually are. This is why Muhammad Ali's greatest weakness was to left hooks. Doug Jones, Henry Cooper, Joe Frazier all dropped Ali while he was leaning back from hooks. Ken Norton broke his jaw with one in the same way. If Ali couldn't float away from hooks it is not likely we can.

Stepping inside the hook is like being in the eye of the storm. However, you can't step in passively. Even if you choose to block that first swing as you step in (you'll probably just be checking the inner part of the arm not blocking their punch) immediately start firing counters of some kind. palm strikes, headbutts, double leg takedown, a hip throw.
grabbing and biting, it doesn't matter as long as it is direct, immediate and inside your opponent's extended arm. You are inside and have the advantage for a split second don't let it pass and don't let up until it is over.

If they didn't want to get hurt they shouldn't have swung at you.

lbouchet
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Stepping inside the hook is like being in the eye of the storm. However, you can't step in passively. ]

This is definitely how a ninjutsu practitioner would deal with a wild hook. Not by blocking, but by moving and striking. If you step in right away and cut the angle, you can knife-hand with your left hand (with fingers bent, like for drinking water) his bicep as it comes around (try it! It KILLS!!) then with your right hand you can backfist his temple or knife-hand his throat. Done deal.
Another favorite technique is to step inside diagonally away from the punch, while at the same time grabbing the swinging arm with your left and slamming the guy's ear with your right open hand, all while pivoting to use his energy against him. This will give him with a busted eardrum and a quick ride to the floor.
Another favorite technique (last one I promise!) is to get in close, drop your body on one knee (preferably on the guy's foot -- top of foot is very sensitive and easy to break) letting the swing pass over you, and again slamming the bicep with a palm strike as it passes over you. That'll stun him. Split second after you do that, you can break his pelvis with a quick forearm thrust through the groin area (which will collapse him real fast), or you can be nicer and give him two powerful punches to the floating ribs (they're right in front of you! Can't miss). Then, if you're a good ninja, your knee is still on his foot, and when he collapses you'll end up ripping his ankle out.
This is also why there are no competitions in ninjutsu.

[/quote]

SD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if your talking about teh big arching type hook (aka John Wayne style) the best defense that works for me is to block the punch, hit the guy in the head, then follow up by dislocating the shoulder (you must put a lock on the arm for this) and at the same time as you lock out his arm, sweep his feet. you can then kick him in the head when he's on the ground if you like.

Remember when you block, move to the side a little so you don't take the punch at full force, at teh same time as you block, you strike.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of my favorites are:

From say a right punch step to the inside blocking and trapping the inside of the wrist with the left hand and roll the right elbow into the center of the chest. From there I would probebly go into a wrist throw.

Or after the block and trap I would bring the right elbow into the pressure point on the inside of the arm between the Bi and Tricep, followed with either an elbow or a back fist to the left side of the head, twist the right wrist down rolling against the knuckles and front kick to the nose. From there I would go into a wrist throw. After the wrist throw reguardless of the tech. I would go into a finish locking their elbow down with my shin. If they still resisted I would roll my bodyweight left and snap the elbow. That is if it was only one on one. Easier shown though. Also, very effective.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: