Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are worried about the other hand comming up and hitting you. Be quick and desisive. If you come in and strike hard and effectivly then the other hand is not going to be an issue. Especially if you hit in a place that causes a lot of pain. IE. pressure point/striking point, center of chest W/ elbow. Of course you dont just stay their either way. You srtike and move, fluidly.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
It is a BAD idea to back straight up. One should sidestep or use lateral motion. Moving back puts you in range more. Ask any boxer or kenpo guy, or any striker who predominately uses hands. Lateral motion is what seperates most strikers from the really good strikers.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step in and palm strike the face or hit the throat with a tigers mouth

Ironberg
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: American Karate, WTF Tae Kwon Do, Kickboxing, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should start experimenting with this, but I think that it would be cool, if you have the reflexes, to actually punch the swinging arm. Bear with me here, one day when I was sparring I through a hook at the same time my partner was throwing a good jab that landed squarely on my bicept! It eventually got back to sparring that class period, but it hurt like hell. I was lucky it didn't bruise. However, I was wondering if that wouldn't be an effective counter to any hook. Any thoughts?

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you could, in my experience in Aikido and Ninjutsu, you can "intercept" the on coming arm. This is what Bruce Lee was talking about in length. Wing Chun concerns itself with this sort of engagement a lot also, the important thing to remember is that to finish some one, you have to go for a lock, throw or punchs to the main body.

Take Care.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironberg wrote:
I should start experimenting with this, but I think that it would be cool, if you have the reflexes, to actually punch the swinging arm. Bear with me here, one day when I was sparring I through a hook at the same time my partner was throwing a good jab that landed squarely on my bicept! It eventually got back to sparring that class period, but it hurt like hell. I was lucky it didn't bruise. However, I was wondering if that wouldn't be an effective counter to any hook. Any thoughts?

I hear talk in the hardcore Karate circles about blocks never really being blocks (originally anyway). Merely deflecting a punch isn't taking advantage of the full potential of the moment. When a person punches you, they're also willingly giving you a piece of their body. So I've heard stories about the original Karateka not just deflecting but "blocking" via counterstrike, and even breaking a bone or two in the person's arm. When it means your life you'll take every bit of damage you can create.

I doubt it's easy to do, but if a person can pull it off I'd say it's a really effective counter. Could work with other punches too... no reason you couldn't (with practice) sidestep and backfist a straight punch. My instructor does it to me sometimes... mix a few pressure points in there and you stop using that arm for a while.

I also noticed when I sparred in my last art, if I struck the person's leg when I blocked their kicks they'd get hesistant in their attacks. That was a bad idea though, I was using the bone in my forearm... a good kick could have broken something.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsdstud wrote:
I say go with a high block then a reverse punch to the ribs

I'd do something similar. A block we call uchi uke (from inside to outside) to deflect and a very quick and devastating reverse punch to the solar plexus or to the chin, depends on my mood
If I was really * of I would add some leg techniques ... ouchhh

RKOSMIC1
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intercept the enemy with some kind of strike that goes in a straight line. never block then counter unless you have to, beat them to it instead or block as you strike.

if it comes down to someone attacking you, just face facts that you may get clipped by something. use the samuri approach. strike first, or take them out as you are getting struck.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKOSMIC1 wrote:
intercept the enemy with some kind of strike that goes in a straight line. never block then counter unless you have to, beat them to it instead or block as you strike.

if it comes down to someone attacking you, just face facts that you may get clipped by something. use the samuri approach. strike first, or take them out as you are getting struck.

That's not a very bright way of doing it. What happens if the other guy is faster and stronger than you? You're done for.

Killer Miller
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omnifinite wrote:
I hear talk in the hardcore Karate circles about blocks never really being blocks (originally anyway). Merely deflecting a punch isn't taking advantage of the full potential of the moment. When a person punches you, they're also willingly giving you a piece of their body. So I've heard stories about the original Karateka not just deflecting but "blocking" via counterstrike, and even breaking a bone or two in the person's arm. When it means your life you'll take every bit of damage you can create.

That's not exactly correct. Karateka "do not" inflict self injury unless absolutely necessary. It's all about timing. There's endless posibilities of dealing with a punch. The method that's closest to the old school that you describe, is to block and punch in the same motion with the same arm. This means that you execute a straight line punch at the same time the oponents arm is in the relaxed stage of execution. The punching motion going out, deflects the oponents arm from the outside inward to the center of his body. With the arm still going in a straight line, it also punches/strikes the face/solerplexus. Note: This technique is totally ineffective if the oponent's punching arm in not in the relaxed stage of punching - so timing is critical...

- Killer -
Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/
Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: