Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PRIDE-OKINAWA-PRIDE(Karate)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Punching bags Reply with quote

I am planning to get a punching bag and I dont really know what to get..... How heavy should the punching bag be? is a hundred pounds good??? and what kind of materials should it be made out of??

thanks!!!

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, different bags, different uses

the harder the bag the bigger the gloves you'll need though.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea definitely... if you want to work on your knuckles get a maki wara... I've seen too many people mess up their wrists by punch a bag without gloves or ones of sufficient support.... how big are you tokeabowl... that question alone could easily influence the type of bag most benefital for you....

I AM CANADIAN

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 40lbs Everlast bag I have had for 7 years or so. Its been really good and took a lot of beating. Thank God for Duct Tape. I wish I had gotten a long one 100lbs bag so I could work low kicks on it.

Im not a fan of the water bags we have busted several of them in class befor but they are easier on kids and women because they are softer.

Maddknucklez
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo, Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: my 2 cents Reply with quote

I have worked on many bags and they are all good for different things. Maki-wara are good for developing knuckle and hand strength. I use free standing covered bags for upper body/boxing workouts because they bounce back at you and force you to keep moving. I usually use a hanging 100 pound bag filled with water for practicing more powerful techniques that would knock over a free standing bag. Surprisingly, it held up pretty well. Then you have your speedbags which are good for hand/eye coordination and developing your shoulders and arms.

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone!!!

yeah ofcorse i am going to wear gloves when i punch the bag. thats a good idea. leaf, i am 5'8 and 170 pounds. so i thought i will need a bag that is over 120 pounds because if i punch it, the bag might rock too much.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bag is a 50 lb. bag hung on a pole that is mounted so it can swing. I have guy lines with quick clips so I can use it stationary. But the best use is to let the pole traverse through about a 45' arc as I assault the bag. This simulates a moving opponent. Also, the 50 pounder bounces and moves itself, so I get to target a moving 'opponent'. Really works your targeting and technique, and you know it if you hit it wrong . The best efect is when it comes against the stops at the end of the traverse. The bag swings away, then it comes back at me, adding another dimension to the training.

Some people mount them on cables and pulleys, gantrys, or anything that will let the bag move. Having the bag move really kicks your training up a notch!

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeaF wrote:
yea definitely... if you want to work on your knuckles get a maki wara... I've seen too many people mess up their wrists by punch a bag without gloves or ones of sufficient support.... how big are you tokeabowl... that question alone could easily influence the type of bag most benefital for you....

I've seen many people mess up wrists on makiwara.

My wrists are a mess from punching things bareknuckled. Wrsit wraps and 12 oz gloves at a minimum.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Gino
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Kyokushin- kai we don't have to wear gloves to work on bags and pads.
If you punch correctly you will have no problems.It is a slow process though.If you are under the age of 14yrs your bones in your hands have not finished developing yet so it is very unwise to practice without gloves or do to much makiwara or knuckle press ups at this age.In my opinion 16 and 17 is also to young.

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone!

I got a 80 pound leather bag! its pretty good.

what kind of gloves should i wear?

should i wear the UFC style grappling gloves, or sparing gloves????
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: