Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wasn't joking. I'd sign up in a second so long as they pull shots on the vital points. I think it would serve for two good windows: One of them being how much of a beating can you take? The second one being how well this womens' self defense is being taught.

doug_kissaki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kissaki Kai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're out of your mind. Two problems there... first of all, in a women's self defense class, they would teach techniques aimed at incapacitating an attacker. Secondly, these are not trained individuals so the idea of "hit hard here, but pull you blows here" won't work

www.kissakikai.com

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to working without armor. Usually, it gives you a feel for executing more precision movements. For instance, using goggles to simulate eye strikes, which by necessity are precision. However, this is best done with limited contact and still usually with some sort of gear.

The big suits are for an entirely differnet training protocol. These are utilized for powerful gross motot motions that allow women (or anyone else for that matter) to really cut loose and smash something. This is espically helpful in womenas sd classes because many times, women have a hard time cutting loose on a target. This lets them get the feel without having to worry about harming a trainer. It's more helpful in these cases to have some sort of armor for the trainees than to not.

As for taking punishment. That's easy, spar one of your classmates, who should be far more skilled at hand to hand than the participants in a womens sd course. Limit the gear and go to town. It's a much better gauge.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug_kissaki wrote:
You're out of your mind. Two problems there... first of all, in a women's self defense class, they would teach techniques aimed at incapacitating an attacker. Secondly, these are not trained individuals so the idea of "hit hard here, but pull you blows here" won't work

Is setting them up against an opponent who is probably slowed down significantly and can't move nearly as well as a person who is wearing nothing much different? I was taught that if you are not trained with an opponent who is trying to fight back than you are not training self defense effectively. Going full force without any armor is harmful to student and trainer that could put someone in a hospital (and it takes a lot for me to say that). And putting them against someone that can't move they will not develop the defensive reflexes they may need. So you find a balance in between the two. There is a medium of training very close to full-blown combative contact against someone who is fighting back so armored-up it becomes hard for them to move and training too lightly unarmored against a fully flexible opponent who is fighting back. I was taught that way and am still learning that way. I know a million other people who are learning that way. There's one hundred million more, and people used to train like that all the time. It's possible.
I really believe that it is possible to effectively teach self-defense and use hard contact while training to strike vital points and not buy all the unnecissary armor and not kill anyone in training. If you think that I'm wrong than that's fine but I still honestly say I would try that without the armor and I still think that would be a learning experience for everyone.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my above post about the psycological resons behind this form of training.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

The big suits are . . . utilized for powerful gross motor motions that allow women (or anyone else for that matter) to really cut loose and smash something. This is espically helpful in womenas sd classes because many times, women have a hard time cutting loose on a target. This lets them get the feel without having to worry about harming a trainer. It's more helpful in these cases to have some sort of armor for the trainees than to not.

Not only will I agree about the women, but there are many men who want to learn self-defense, yet would find it difficult to do something that would harm their training partner. Where I study, I've found that I myself feel better if I check with my fellow-student opponent that I'm not, say, destroying his wrist in a joint lock. That's why there's a signal system of tapping your own leg, or even tapping your training partner. When I did choke holds, I asked my "opponent" to tap me on the arm (that's choking him) so I would be certain that I knew to stop/ease up.

The people who attend these classes are not into full-contact, which I believe is being suggested in the trappings of seeing how much you, in the role of attacker, can take. It takes enough courage for these women to walk into that dojang, knowing that the reason they're there isn't because they have a "don't mess with me or I'll turn you into road kill" attitude, but that they are afraid of rape, possibly rape and death. Once they realize that they can really let 'er rip, they'll do it and learn what they need to know. And more power to them.

I have no objection to someone who wants to do full-contact, for whatever reason he--or she--may desire, so long as s/he's a legal adult. But that's not what this is about.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB of C wrote:
I really wasn't joking. I'd sign up in a second so long as they pull shots on the vital points. I think it would serve for two good windows: One of them being how much of a beating can you take? The second one being how well this womens' self defense is being taught.

Well, if thats what you want to do, then great. I just no that I wouldn't take a shot to the groin, full blast, by a female that you are trying to get into the mindset that she is being sexually assaulted. And that is just one of the females. In the end, they all get to take a shot. The jewels just aren't that durable...

doug_kissaki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kissaki Kai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
... The jewels just aren't that durable...

They're not??? Then you should be training harder

www.kissakikai.com

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sort of ancient conditioning program?

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments and tips.

This class is not sponsored through my MA school and I think that is why they have had some trouble finding people willing to put on the padding. As ya'll have mentioned, the class is designed for everyday, untrained women whom have, probably, never hit anyone full force and with the intent to damage. Going off what I was briefly told, the class teaches them to attack quickly, decisively, and hard, and then get away.

It will definitely be an interesting experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: