Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Snake
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Previously Muay Thai. Now Kyokushin Kaikan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Punching speed Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any tips on how to increase punching speed? I've considered using dumbells, but I've found that I've come close to hyperextending the elbows at times.

-Many thanks

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, practice and more practice...and when you think you've practiced enough, practice some more!

Also, try to relax your entire body when you punch and tighten only at the moment of impact.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first and foremost, you need to get your technique down and practice. But aside from actual punching, I'd say plyometric training. So stuff with a medicine ball trying to throw it as hard and fast as possible with a load of different throws (Google/YouTube different throws). Lots of plyometric push-ups: quick push-ups, clapping push-ups, push-ups where you're jumping your hands on and off a basketball, push-ups where you alternate which hand is on a basketball etc. Punches with either resistance bands or if you have access to one, a freemotion cable machine with light weights. Loads more exercises you can do. Anything explosive will probably help.

Absolute killer drill we do is stand in front of a bag/partner with mitts: do 2 punches, down do 2 push-ups, up for 4 punches, down for 4 push-ups etc. working up to 10 or 20 and then back down to 2. Destroys your arms but really helps with speed if you focus on throwing out the punches and push-ups as fast as possible.

Snake
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Previously Muay Thai. Now Kyokushin Kaikan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. They're both very much appreciated

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU Snake!

I can tell you that in doing Kyokushin, a couple of techniques I have used to work on my speed reflexes are:
Uraken Ganmen Uchi,
Uraken Sayu Uchi,
Ago Uchi,
and Jodan/Chudan Tatte Tsuki.
I just warm up and then throw them in sets to drill speed (do it once your warm and still fresh, not already exhausted!).
Also - working on my foot/hip pivot helped a lot to develop KO power in thes quick stikes. Lining up the toes in the pivot to the direction of the strike, no more and no less (if that makes sense...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: