Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Putting in Work Outside the Dojo Reply with quote

I’m always fascinated to hear what others do on their own time to work on their craft. Putting work in outside of the dojo. Personally, I like to combine yoga with my shorin ryu “staples.” Just like a daily maintenance in case I don’t go to a karate or yoga class. Check it out and feel free to share your own!

Warmup:
- Kapalabhati/breathing exercise
- Yoga Sun Salutations 3x
- Dynamic stretches, legs swings/arm circles, etc.
Kata:
- Fukyugata 3x (one to focus or all three)
- Pinan 3x (usually one to focus on each day)
- Naihanchi 3x (one to focus or all three)
Cool Down:
- Yoga Stretches; usually wide split, twist, Wheel, and some inversion
- Nadi Shodhana/breathing exercise
- sometimes meditation

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey scohen0300,

Thanks for sharing this! An odd technical glitch caused this topic to have no title, which is why I believe it didn't receive much response. I have fixed this and added a suggested title (feel free to adjust if it doesn't fit). I wanted to bump this up so that others could now see it. Sorry about that. Thanks again!

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many martial arts people see their school/dojo as a place to practise. In fact, at least in the traditional sense, this is not quite correct. The school/dojo is the place to learn new things and get instructions on how and what to improve.

All the practise work to refine skills and polish basics is supposed to be done by each person on their own time. Of course in this days and age hardly anyone can afford to train daily for hours. Everyone has other vital obligations and preoccupations such as their professional and private/family life. It is not impossible however, with some self-discipline to find just a few minutes as often as feasible to practise two or three items from one’s martial art or do some strengthening/conditioning.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal dojo is my basement. I am currently working on getting it fixed up, which I expect to be done by summer 2020.

My formal dojo practice is 3 times a week. I practice in my personal dojo at least 2 times a week extra.

I also do Qigong and Meditation separately from formal dojo practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: