Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel someone is a higher rank than you, then bow and address them as sir or ma'am, and just overall be respectful. Leave it to them to tell you otherwise.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, be the most polite you possibly can and listen to and follow whatever the lower/less experienced people do. One also cannot be faulted for just asking everyone what they prefer to be called while training at the school. As for everything else within whatever system one chooses, asking is always the quickest way to learn.

Last edited by Spartacus Maximus on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, I would never study at a school with a master who would get upset with a brand new student for not knowing his rank. A higher ranked practitioner should have the maturity to understand that new students will make mistakes as they are learning and their goal should be to guide the new students to the correct practice. Anyone who would freak out and attack someone who didn't know any better for "disrespecting" them needs a reality check.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally never heard of, seen or experienced anyone being penalized or otherwise punished in any way for failing to use proper titles. An instructor can rightly be offended by rudeness or obvious impolite attitudes and behaviour, but not knowing how/what to address them? It does indeed seem strange. After all, who would want to train with people who are so unapproachable?

MAD Mike
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Yondan Concentration, Yuk dan, or Pal dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within a BJJ Gymnasium I make eye contact. Within my Dojo I bow.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy most aspects of traditional martial arts, 99% of them.

The whole "this guy is your superior and you got to address them with a special reverence" thing is one of the few I don't.

If you join an MMA gym, for all you know you have a guy who will debut in bellator or the UFC next month and you don't even know it, your only interaction with him is when he walked up to you, drenched in sweat and said "hey bro, are you still hitting that bag? Mind if I use it?" or when you sparred and you had no idea how good he was because he went easy on you because he knows you're not part of the fight camp.

There's something awesome about knowing some guy sharing the gym with you, maybe even kicking the bag next to you is good enough to get into the UFC or whatever, yet he is down to earth enough that you'd never know how good he is until he is literally on TV.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:

The whole "this guy is your superior and you got to address them with a special reverence" thing is one of the few I don't.

Respectfully, I think that you may be missing something here, higher ranks than you should never be considered "Superior" but rather, your senior. And addressing dan grades by their rank title as it were, is part of the culture of "Traditional karate" which acknowledges your time and dedication to the art.
Just like many other formal institutions, military, government, academia, etc.
Now, how that person acts and treats you is a completely different deal.
If you prefer the more casual environment of a MMA gym then that's fine, but understand that a tradition dojo and a MMA gym are offering completely different experiences. Just check out some of the MMA forums and you will soon pick up the vibe that they have compared with a karate one like KF forums.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more a question of respect than reverence or hierarchy. Titles, grades and terms of address mean nothing without respect and recognition of the accomplishments and dedication of others in the martial art one is learning. One shows respect to seniors not just because they are seniors, but because they have been where one wants to go.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
RW wrote:

Respectfully, I think that you may be missing something here, higher ranks than you should never be considered "Superior" but rather, your senior. And addressing dan grades by their rank title as it were, is part of the culture of "Traditional karate" which acknowledges your time and dedication to the art.
If you prefer the more casual environment of a MMA gym then that's fine, but understand that a tradition dojo and a MMA gym are offering completely different experiences. Just check out some of the MMA forums and you will soon pick up the vibe that they have compared with a karate one like KF forums.

KF is by far the best forum (of anything) I've seen in the WWW, not just MA.

I don't know why but the vibe here is very friendly, yet casual and relaxed. As you can tell I like it here

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
RW wrote:

Best post I’ve read in quite a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: