Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GhostFighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Krav Maga + Thaiboxing + Boxing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Question about double end bag Reply with quote

Can the end bag make a good difference for improving defenses and reflexes for sparring?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is yes, it can.

It's a great tool and should be, imo, the second purchase for a home gym after a heavy bag. It works well for timing, speed, reflexive action, and head movement. The last being something that I think a lot of people coming out of an eastern art often lag behind the curve at. I certainly did till I did some boxing in college. It's certainly something that needs worked and the double ended bag is a great way to do that without a sparring partner handy.

GhostFighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Krav Maga + Thaiboxing + Boxing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the standing double end bag where u dont have to fix ut to the ceiling, are they good as still?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like them as much. They might be a subsistute if you don't have the room or set up for a real doubled ended bag, but from my experience they lack the movement structure that really makes a double ended bag great.

Their return tends to be slower and the lever arm acting at the south pole end limits the amount of movements you get out of it. They tend to be a bit more two diminsonal than ones with cord at both ends. They are a bit slower as well, and won't stress your reflexs quite as much.

Still, they are probabily better than not having one at all. Given a choice, I'd go with the free haning one however.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: