Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

F-S-K
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i want to get into full contact fighting, i have only sparred a few times, i want to stay away from the points style because i dont feel it will benefit me a as a fighter, so would i start in semi-contact continous and get some experience and then go onto the full contact, and how hard are you allowed to punch? like can you knock people out? and what isnt allowed?

thanks for the replies

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-contact is the same as point sparring in my opinion. I mean, how do you really know that a guy is only punching 50% in competition? The first person to hit hard get's diqualified? Or the first person to act like it really hurt wins? Just go full contact amateur and keep on trucking.

TOMMY BEE
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-S-K I think that is more than Ok to start out with lightcontact if you do not have many places to get fights in the beginner stages.
I put my students, mostly kids that are looking pretty good but are not ready for full contact fighting into light contact to build there confidence.
When I strted fighting I went into many lightcontact tournaments as well as Full contact,Low kick ,Sanshou , and even Semi contact. The purpose of doing such A variety of events was to gain experience as quickly as possabile. I always believe that it is best to compete as much as possabile to gain as much experience as possabile.
If you go into lightcontact events first you can get A feel for fighting and learn to relax in front of A crowd.
You asked if you could get KO'D in A light contact fight. When i did it in Ny there was no insurance for full contact so alot of the light contact events where basically full contact.
Recently I have seen many events that where much lighter and it can be used as A stepping stone to full contact as it was designed. Usually you can hit hard to the body and lighter to the head.
GOOD LUCK!!

www.ringoffirekickboxing.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ya
in continuous semi contact you can get away with hitting really hard to the body. they let it slide when it comes to that. but with facial contact they are a little strict cuz they dont want guys getting their noses broken. the way i see it continuous is just a step up to full contact kickboxing.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think "semi" contact is challenging.. How hard should I hit the guy? Anyway, it seems that in point sparring and light-contact events, there are more injuries than in full contact. I think this is because the competitors aren't expecting a hard hit, even though the hard hits still come. Just remember, even though you follow the rules of "semi" contact, the other guy might just decide it's time to lay into you. That is the big problem I have with point and "semi" contact.
In full contact, you know that the guy is trying to clobber you, so you protect yourself better. There is no choice but to fight.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna try out the kumite scene soon, but i don't think i'l like it. If that's the case i'm just gonna get into amateur kickboxing and do full contact. Semi-contact is alright for mucking around but if u want the real hardcore training then u should go full contact all the way mate!

Angus

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go straight for the full contact. I personally have fought San Shou for years, and have seen guys try to move into full contact from point and continueous sparring. These guys develop bad "full contact" habits.

I had a fight this March against a karate fighter with San Shou rules. He came out with his hands at about half way between his chest and his belt line. I was aprehensive at first, as I though that maybe this guy was really good, and was trying to bait me in.

After his first two kicks albiet fast, but no real power. He still kept his hands down as he would in point sparring. I hit him with a lead right (something I usually never do), and then moved in and threw him. The throw knocked the wind out of him...I don't think he knew how to fall. After that it was pretty much over.

Anyways if you want to do full contact...start training for full contact.

F-S-K
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep full contact amateur sounds good to me gonna have to get fit for it though coz if u aint fit then you get your * kicked, the thing i didnt like about points and semi contact was with points you have to stop after each point and its more about speed than real fighting and with semi contact then theres no way of knowing how hard to punch...im assuming theres different levels in full contact so you fight people of the same level as you so this is the way to go
thanks for all the views they helped a lot

Sutton_uk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full contact i like it but i hate fighting older people because they hit harder

sounds good to me

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: