Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Thai_Kick
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, JKD and Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For you to implie that Shaolin cant be used in the street is wrong, you then appeared to know nothing of Shaolin, so therefore ignorant.

Kensai please show me where I wrote that Shaolin can't be used in the streets! Because I read my post and I only impilyed that the technique could not be used, not the art. All styles can be used on the streets, it's just that some styles are more effective then others, and thats what were talking about. Right!

Quote:
Really only forming as your arguement that there are a lot more MT practioners than Shaolin

Once again you misunderstood my statment. I wrote that their are more "effective Muay Thai fighters" then "effective Shaolin fighters" I can go on and on naming the best Muay Thai fighters in the world, but I couldn't name a single Shaolin fighter, therefore I'm not stating that Mauy Thai has more practioners. Muay Thai is about fighting, Shaolin is not, it's more then fighting.

Last edited by Thai_Kick on Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please respect each other and their opinions. It is never appropriate to belittle they style another person has chosen to study. And it is really never acceptable to belittle another persons "opinion".

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thai Kick, I agree. I cant name any Mauy Thai fighters, so I cant really form a complete arguement.

Take Care.

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been taking Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate do and I can say Karate takes longer to be proficient in, but once you are, it is alot better for self defence than kick boxing. And I mean WAY better.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thai_Kick wrote:
I don't have to give a reason of why MuayThai is better, the style speaks for it's self. Oh Kensai, how many people in the world can do what it is shown in Wong Kiew's book, NOT MANY, VERY, VERY FEW PEOPLE! How many Muay Thai students are effective fighters? MANY! TONS! HUNDREDS! THOUSANDS...

Guys ... lets get serious ... We are here like children. My style is better that yours, yours sucks and so on. There is not style that is crap, every style has got its goals, training and gets you through a different path to the same thing ... becoming better.
Muay Thay against other styles, Shotokan against wushu and so on ... Let's stop fooling around. You say Muay Thai is better than my style because it's effective. I say I can do what you do, but I doubt you can do what I do and I really don't know what you do in Muay Thai I can say in my country Muay Thay is almost unheard of, while my style is I guess the most popular, I can also say my style was invented in order to give a chance to the unarmed people of Okinawa against those who came into their country, I could flood you with philosophical aspects and with how good and smart I am and so on ... But we are not here to put dirt on others style.
I respect you for doing MA, because as we all know, whatever the style, we are all working like crazy to become better. It's the effort that counts. The style should be OK if you like it. You like Muay Thai, I got in love with Shotokan, there are many here who fancy Aikido, Hapkido, TKD, JKD and so on. They are all to be admired for their work. If they train properly, trust me, they be effective

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think effectiveness in any art reallies solely on the individual and the trainers. Without either one willing to have improvement then none of the styles would be effective.

"There is always someone worse but remember there is also always somebody better. Always keep yourself striving for the best" That is a quote by me. I used it once and now it is popular in the dojo I attend.....or at least it was at one point.

godan
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai,Tai Boxing,Full Contact Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as one of you has already stated its not the style but the person behind that style.

Been training in the martial arts for over 30 years and have seen about every style,some good and some really bad.

But then I see other people doing what i had thought were bad styles and they were really good.

So as I said do not judge a style by what you see one person doing but take out of it what you can.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godan wrote:

So as I said do not judge a style by what you see one person doing but take out of it what you can.

Good point godan.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: