Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Question about the word Bunkai Reply with quote

OK so something has been bugging me for a long time... for many years I have heard and have even used the word Bunkai to describe the study of applications contained within the Kata.

All the time understanding the meaning/definition of this word and also understanding the stages of learning the applications.

Stages of learning the applications
Bunkai - to break down/disassemble - this is where the Kata is broken down to it's individual postures.
Bunseki - to analize - this is where (at least in practical application terms) that the student studies the applications and it's possible meaning.
Oyo - to apply - this is where the possible meaning is applied against an opponent to verify it's effectiveness.

Instructors through the years have used this term and it has gotten more prevalent over the last 5 to 10.

My question is; is this just another misinterpretation by westerners of a Japanese word that took off? I'm not sure since the Japanese use it as well.

What am I missing here? Why would you use a word that means to breakdown or disassemble to define the study of the kata's applications?

On it's basic level I get that you are extracting the postures of the Kata but what then. You do not have a viable or effective application until you analyze and apply these to verify their effectiveness. So why this one word to describe the applications?

I have never heard this term when speaking of the original meaning of the postures or what we call the founders applications. I believe this is mainly in terms of to define practical (or created/best guess) applications.

What do you think?

Just a brain tickler for you to ponder and think about.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does tend to bother me that "bunkai" is used to describe what is actually "oyo," but I will admit that I generally consider "bunseki" to be part of the bunkai process. As far as I'm aware, even in Japan this is the case. Of course, with regard to kata application, I suspect the Japanese and Okinawans are using bunkai the way they hear Westerners use it. We could go with "tichiki" instead, if we wanted to be more "authentically Okinawan" by using Uchinaguchi
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Many thanks. My Shinshii used this early in my training but at some point Bunkai took it's place. I had completely forgotten about the word.

I called him as soon as I read this and questioned him about it as nothing came up when I made a google search. (imagine that not finding an Uchinaaguchi words meaning ) I couldn't remember what the meaning of the word was but he said it meant "what the hands are doing". He also said that it could be interpreted as "hidden hand techniques".
He said that he never forgot about it but Bunkai was an accepted term on Okinawa and was being used so he just stopped using it.

I love this forum! Thanks very much Wastelander, you're awesome. You're a wealth of knowledge my friend. Many thanks!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question is; is this just another misinterpretation by westerners of a Japanese word that took off? I'm not sure since the Japanese use it as well.

That's a million dollar question!! Depending on whom one asks, the answer might be as many as there are stars in the sky.

Not meaning to beat this horse to death, any misinterpretations about this very topic belongs to the CI!! If the CI misinterpretation about this topic is askew, then guess what, so will be the students as well. Then these students become CI's themselves, teaching what they were taught erroneously beforehand; the vicious cycle continues unchecked!!

That's why I feel very fortunate to have had both a Soke and Dai-Soke that were born and raised in Okinawa before settling in the USA. Now, just because they were born and raised in Okinawa, didn't mean that they were correct in their own interpretation, but that's the furthest thing from the truth. They both very well understood this topic through and through!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: